Container status REST api

Is there any way to be notified of a container status change in the API, like websockets. I saw there is an Events API, but seems that it is limited to pending operations. What I would like to have is a permanent listener of the container status. Is that possible or the only way is doing that by polling?

Clever parsing of the events API would get you that when looking at the logging messages, but that’s pretty fragile.

We do have a plan to add a new lifecycle class of event to the events API which would let you track this in a much more standardize way than parsing log entries.

1 Like

@stgraber thanks a lot for the reply. I’m looking forward that new class of events.

@stgraber Is it possible that we expose events through the same API as well to let users know when a node in an LXD cluster changed its online status, joined or left?

That’d likely be a different class of events as that doesn’t really fit under the lifecycle definition which is more centered around user actions on containers rather than network changes.