LXC-2.1.0-pre: My experiences so far - pretty OK, config file migration does not work perfectly

Introduction

I’ve noticed there is a call for testing of the current git master. I do have experiences with lxc since a couple of years, so I decided to contribute a little bit of my time.

Building deb packages

Here are my findings:

• I do build my own deb packages. Basically, I take the existing source and modify it a little bit for no special reason.
  • Using the 2.0.8 packages and doing a uupdate -u ../lxc-2.1.0.tar.xz I realized on trusty:
    • there is a dependency to python3-setuptools
    • there is a dependency to graphviz/dot
    • there are some issues related to bash-completion
    • there are some perl warnings (Use of uninitialized value $filename in concatenation (.) or string at /usr/share/perl5/Debian/Debhelper/Dh_Lib.pm line 410.) . ignored
    • there are lots of warnings related to fix-shebang (E: dh_python3 tools:93: fix_shebang (debian/lxc1/usr/bin/lxc-cgroup): cannot parse binary file) - ignored

Error related to bash completion

# move the bash completion profile
mkdir -p debian/tmp/usr/share/bash-completion
mv debian/tmp/etc/bash_completion.d debian/tmp/usr/share/bash-completion/completions
mv: Aufruf von stat für »debian/tmp/etc/bash_completion.d“ nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
make[1]: *** [override_dh_install] Fehler 1
make[1]: Verzeichnis »/home/ubuntu/build/lxc/lxc-2.1.0« wird verlassen
make: *** [binary] Fehler 2
dpkg-buildpackage: Fehler: Fehler-Exitstatus von fakeroot debian/rules binary war 2

Work around: Place a hash before the cp command. I don’t care about command completion.

Installing the deb packages

I used to use lxc-2.0.8. Upgrading to the previously built packages works without any issue.
Rebooting now…

Using the new packages

Warning: The configuration file contains legacy configuration keys.

Running lxc-ls --fancy shows warnings like these:

The configuration file contains legacy configuration keys.
Please update your configuration file!
lxc-ls: confile.c: parse_line: 1982 Unknown configuration key "lxc.pivotdir"
lxc-ls: parse.c: lxc_file_for_each_line: 58 Failed to parse config: lxc.pivotdir = lxc_putold

A lot of LXC containers are missing from the list, maybe this is related to the warning?

grep -l pivotdir */config … shows lots of containers, none of which shows up on lxc-ls

According to this discussion, the pivotdir isn’t needed any more. So I removed the entry, now the container shows up on lxc-ls. Starting the container still produces a warning:

uli@ulinuc:~$ sudo lxc-start -d -n ubuntu1404-64-build

The container seems to work nevertheless… lxc-stop -n ubuntu1404-64-build hangs forever.

Upgrading the config file using lxc-update-config -c .../config works. I don’t see any warning any more. lxc-stop still hangs forever, I have to use lxc-stop -k ...

lxc-update-config doesn’t fix all config files - lxc.net.0.ipv4

I applied lxc-update-config to all my config files: ls */config|xargs -n1 lxc-update-config -c.
Now most of the warnings are gone. Unfortunately, new warnings show up:

uli@ulinuc:~$ sudo lxc-ls --fancy
lxc-ls: parse.c: lxc_file_for_each_line: 58 Failed to parse config: lxc.net.0.ipv4 = 10.0.3.100/24
lxc-ls: parse.c: lxc_file_for_each_line: 58 Failed to parse config: lxc.net.0.ipv4 = 10.0.3.7/24
NAME                STATE   AUTOSTART GROUPS IPV4 IPV6 
apache-worker       STOPPED 0         -      -    -    
host-only           STOPPED 0         -      -    -    

The warnings related to parse.c are easy to fix by modifying the config files:

• wrong: lxc.net.0.ipv4 = 10.0.3.100/24
  • ok: lxc.net.0.ipv4.address = 10.0.3.100/24

Remaining legacy configuration keys

lxc-ls --fancy still gives me the warning about legacy configuration keys. Checking this with lxc-info shows four lxc containers. They are the most recent ones I created with lxc-2.0.8.

This line produce the warnings:

lxc.rootfs.backend = btrfs

I prepended it with a hash and the warnings disappeared.

Final words

The new version works pretty OK. I think I’ll switch to the released version now and do some tests based on this.

Note that you can also grab automatically built packages from
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-lxc/+archive/ubuntu/lxc-git-master/+packages

Hi Stephane,

thanks for pointing me on this. I fact, I do use these as basis for “my” packages. I don’t like to import lots of apt keys into my system, that’s why I’m repackaging. Maybe it is enough to sign the prebuilt packages with my key, but I like to be able to build them from source…

2.0.8+master means current master (or master 15 hours ago which is probably current enough). Maybe I’ll test these…

Best regards and thanks a lot for LXC and LXD, I really like both of them - Uli

Hi,

I can’t figure out which legacy options are still on…I updated all configs using lxc-update-config but I still get:

for each container.
lxc-info -n $container doesn’t pinpoint the problem.
Starting container with --logfile didn’t help either (probably because I don’t know what to look for :smiley: )

Any tips?

There’s at least one bug in lxc-update-config that may be causing this.

So if you have a lxc.rootfs.backend line in your container config, remove it, that should fix the issue.

1 Like