LXD on Windows 10 WSL?

That would be defeating my purpose. If I installed HyperV, I’d stick with running VM’s and not LXD.

But you have a limited number of VMs that your server can run. If you are content with very few VMs and have a high end server, then you are ok with a VM.

I just upgraded to Win 10 Pro…if that makes any difference?

yes as said before, Windows Home can’t handle Multipass, so that’s an option now available , lucky you :slight_smile: . Now I don’t know much Multipass and I can’t help you with it, but other can certainly do it.

So…with Multipass, can I run multiple instances of Ubuntu at the same time?

With multipass you can create multiple Ubuntu VMs. In each of them you can install LXD.
Normally you would start with a single VM and a nice LXD installation.

Multipass in not a requirement; you can use any other VM tool as well. It is lightweight though, and it is the same tool on native Ubuntu.

So trying it out and running into this problem:

C:\Users\rayj0>multipass launch
launch failed: timed out waiting for instance to respond

C:\Users\rayj0>multipass list
Name State IPv4 Release
preferred-curassow STOPPED – Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
relieved-kudu STOPPED – Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

C:\Users\rayj0>multipass start preferred-curassow
start failed: timed out waiting for instance to respond

I read about possible firewall issues so I turn off Norton 360 firewall but no help.

Any ideas?

Have a look at https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/installing-multipass-for-windows/9547
The requirements are:

1. Only Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise , build 1803 or later is currently supported.
  2. Make sure the network you’re connected to is marked Private (which really means Trusted ), otherwise Windows will prevent Multipass from starting. We’re working on resolving that issue.
  3. You will need to allow the installer to gain Administrator privileges.

I’m a bit confused, on the Github page, it states creation, management and maintenance of virtual machines. This seems far from containers ? Notwithstanding, the Github repository is vague about the underlying technology?

multipass is a tool to create virtual machines (VM), based on KVM (Linux), HyperV (Windows) and also for MacOS (not sure which).
I got you covered with https://blog.simos.info/multipass-management-of-virtual-machines-running-ubuntu/

On Windows you cannot run LXD directly, so you need first a VM running Ubuntu or other Linux, then setup LXD in there.
So, you can either use HyperV with an Ubuntu image, multipass over HyperV, VMWare, Virtualbox or something else.

If HyperV is too much trouble (i.e. requires a version of Windows you do not have), then go for an alternative.

I installed multipass on Windows 10 Pro. Is there anything else I need to do besides the Multipass?

Ray

These are the requirements,

After installation, try to create an Ubuntu VM.
Allocate enough memory and disk space so that LXD can work well.

Maybe I am confusing you. I am only interested in running Multipass and not LXD.
I run multipath launch. The insances are created, but they will not start.

Ray

But you wouldn’t mind running LXD under multipass on Windows for a mere test so that this thread is relevant to the forum, right?

There are three specific requirements mentioned earlier, and I need from you to positively state that you have checked them, so that we know that multipass should work. Can you do that?

1. Only Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise , build 1803 or later is currently supported.
  2. Make sure the network you’re connected to is marked Private (which really means Trusted ), otherwise Windows will prevent Multipass from starting. We’re working on resolving that issue.
  3. You will need to allow the installer to gain Administrator privileges.

Apart from that, there is support for multipass on the Ubuntu discourse website. Here is a list of tagged posts for multipass. You would post there a support question for multipass and tag it with the multipass tag to get the attention of the multipass developers.

1 Like

So…I am running Windows 10 Pro over WiFi which is marked Private.
For installer, you mean the Multipass installation on Windows 10?

Thanks,

Ray

The requirements I wrote above in italics are copied from the multipass page. I used italics to denote that this is copied text.

The installation instructions that I gave earlier, refer to a GitHub download page that has an installer named multipass-0.6.0+win-win64.exe
This is the installer.

If you completed the installation without an error, then you can launch a VM with multipass.

So that’s my problem.

I uninstalled multipass and re-installed as administrator. That worked fine.
Then I did a multipass launch -n rayj
It took awhile…about 5 mins. I thought this was going to work.
But then is stopped with “launch failed: time out waiting for instance response.”

“multipass list” shows rayj STOPPED release Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Ideas?

Ray

So I did a few things:
Uninstalled Multipass and reinstalled. No help.
Turned on Virtualization in BIOS. No help.
Joined the HyperV Administrator group. Helped somewhat.

I now have 2 instances marked as RUNNING. However the IPv4 addresses are marked UNKNOWN?

Any ideas?

Ray

I had a similar problem, and fixed it by not only enabling “Intel ® Virtualization Technology” but also “Intel ® VT-d Feature” in the virtualization window in the Bios. Although I did not restart Windows after installation, so maybe the restart was also the fix.

This thread is about WSL 1.0, which does not use virtualization.
WSL 2.0 (Windows Insider edition only) requires hardware virtualization.

It is not necessary to enable VT-d if you do not need it. VT-x is a requirement.