LXD's Snap Ceph upgrade

Hi people,

Are there any plans to upgrade the build-in Ceph binaries to Octopus? I think Octopus is already in the latest Ubuntu LTS.

I am deciding whether to downgrade my Ceph cluster (which will be painful) for LXD or, if there are plans to upgrade, to wait for the Snap upgrade.

Snap packages have a base. Currently the only two supported bases are core16 and core18.

LXD currently uses core18 which is based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

core20 should release soon and once it does we will start moving onto it starting with the edge and beta channels. After a few months of that, we’ll look at rolling it out to stable users.

That last step can also take a few months on its own as we need to align base changes with other popular snaps that are included in distribution images to avoid wasting space by having half the pre-installed snaps use one base and the other half another.

Is there no option on recent Ceph for backwards compatibility of clients?

Actually, I completely forgot work I did recently to help with such cases.

sudo snap set lxd ceph.external=true
sudo systemctl reload snap.lxd.daemon

This should then cause some magic to kick in which will let LXD use the client tooling from your host distro rather than what comes with the snap.

Wow this would be amazing, which version of lxd is this in? I will try it out and see if it works :slight_smile:

I think we’ve had that code in the snap long enough that it should be in both 4.0 and latest branch.