Migrating LXD 5.0 LTS Agent to Incus 6.0 LTS Agent

Hi,

I recently migrated my LXD 5.0 LTS installation to Incus 6.0 LTS using the lxd-to-incus tool. This seemed to work well with minimal downtime.

While most of my workloads are containers, I have few VMs and I noticed that these still run the LXD agent after migration.

Is there a documented process to migrate the LXD agent to Incus agent for such VMs?

The VMs run Debian bookworm and the Incus host also runs Debian bookworm using Incus 6.0.1 LTS from bookworm-backports.

Regards James

It shouldn’t really matter, they’re actually running the incus-agent binary but just through a lxd-agent symlink we put in place to handle those kind of upgrades.

If you really want to clean things up, you’ll need to:

• mount -t 9p config /mnt
  • cd /mnt
  • ./install.sh

Which will put in the incus-agent units on the system.
After that you’ll want to local all the LXD agent files in find /etc/ /lib/ | grep lxd-agent and remove them so they don’t conflict with the incus-agent ones on boot.

Thanks Stéphane - I didn’t realise the migration process did this - it was a well kept secret!

I checked some VMs and indeed the lxd-agent process I see in ps is a symlink to incus-agent so I will leave things as they are since they are working well.

Thanks for enlightening me!

James