New Web Based Container Manager šŸ”„

Did you get the VGA console working for VMs too?
Iā€™ve had some good experience with html5-spice and using our websockets and I believe @turtle0x1 got it working in Mosaic too.

I did implement noVNC for a private sister project which I use to manage KVMs, but not had a chance with LXD VMs yet. It is something on the list to do eventually. @turtle0x1 work and contribution is outstanding.

1 Like

When I implemented our spice support in LXD, I tried it with the spice-html5 demo code and it basically just worked with our websocket API, no need to reshuffle any data or anything around, so that was pretty nice to see :slight_smile:

Thanks. That is very encouraging, will have a look at it.

Hi! Out of curiosity I tested Nuber, after about a month of experimenting with lxdMosaic on my home server (actually itā€™s just a laptop with a broken keyboard and screen next to my home router :slight_smile: ).

First, thank you for your work, it is really clean and I have enjoyed using it. I have a few things to note but you can be confident in my understanding that it is still beta software, these are positive & constructive recommendations!

• The installation procedure described here with the install script assumes that the host configuration can be modified without problem (install.sh), in my case I just wanted to test without changing my lxd host configuration. In the end I read the install script and only used the container-setup.sh script on the dedicated container, effectively skipping all of the host configuration ā€“ of course I had to do it manually, fortunately most of the Nuber-specific configuration is the same as the default lxd.
    I would recommend that the Getting Started page mentions that, letting new users know that they can also directly use the container setup script.
  • What is the rationale for creating a new vnet0 bridge network on the lxd host and enforcing the usage of Nuber-managed networks ?
    Itā€™s pretty smart that one can add ā€œNuber virtual networkā€ to the network description of other bridges to use them, Iā€™d recommend to put that on the docs pages too, I could only find that info in the Github readme.
  • From my understanding of both lxd and nuber, there is no storage pool management as of 0.4.0 and all volumes are created on the default pool, is that correct?
1 Like

The installation procedure described here with the install script assumes that the host configuration can be modified without problem (install.sh), in my case I just wanted to test without changing my lxd host configuration. In the end I read the install script and only used the container-setup.sh script on the dedicated container, effectively skipping all of the host configuration ā€“ of course I had to do it manually, fortunately most of the Nuber-specific configuration is the same as the default lxd.

You are correct I sometimes point people to do that, just i have not put in the documentation to try and not be so confusing. That is a regular hack when showing to people who dont want to install.

• What is the rationale for creating a new vnet0 bridge network on the lxd host and enforcing the usage of Nuber-managed networks ?
    Itā€™s pretty smart that one can add ā€œNuber virtual networkā€ to the network description of other bridges to use them, Iā€™d recommend to put that on the docs pages too, I could only find that info in the Github readme.

That is true I only updated the readme, to show that for existing LXD users, i will add to my todo list. The system is designed for fresh installs. This is very different to the LXD moasic, which is powerful frontend for powerusers, which allows you do LXD stuff that you can do in the command line. Nuber is is completely different, it works with a lot of magic, and processes behind the scenes, so you donā€™t have to remember all things. Wether it is converting proxy settings if you set or remove the static Ip address, or prepare for migration or even like turning back on the instance after migration has completed. With this in mind, it could also be frustrating for a regular LXD user, because it does not bring all the features of LXD.

The reason only networks created in Nuber can only be used by nuber (unless you tag it), is simply because Nuber does not use the profiles feature of LXD (it did before) , the default bridge or networks will likely be attached to profiles, this then becomes problematic when trying to delete unused networks as they will be attached to profiles.

• From my understanding of both lxd and nuber, there is no storage pool management as of 0.4.0 and all volumes are created on the default pool, is that correct?

You are correct, it works with one storage, and that called default. So it wont really work with non standard or complex setups.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this in detail.

@Jimbo The project looks very promising. I have starred it on GitHub :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!

Bonjour Jimbo.
Votre interface est gƩniale et tellement pratique !
Quel bon travail.
Merci Ć  vous !
Alain