Looking for thoughts on best practice here. How would you setup the storage system for an R730XD with H330 raid card and lots of disks?
Here is where we are leaning:
- VirtualDisk1: 3 drive raid 1 (2+ hot spare) for Host OS - ext4
- VirtualDisk2: 11 drive raid 10 (10 + hot spare) for containers, un-formatted during Host install … leaving lxd init to format raw block device to BTRFS
- Any difference between above and a single big virtual device with 2 partitions?
- Will BTRFS scrub be able to clean and fix FS issues when it only sees 1 disk (and not multiple disks in BTRFS-Raid1)?
- Any way to (safely!) mount the BTRFS VDisk2 to the host so we can see it (to check DF for example)? … or does lxd need to completely own that thing and keep it hidden in namespace.
We have been running lxd/lxc for about 3-4 years in a small biz environment (~8 Hosts and ~25 containers). Our start was a little disorganized and we have a few different underlying disk configs and would like to get things cleaned up.
We use a single storage Pool so our containers are easily portable between hosts.
We have had 1 failure of a BTRFS filesystem that was not recoverable … 2 or 3 serious issues that we were able to recover from … and are currently fighting an issue at the moment.
We use 2 mosaic instances at different sites as a core to our backup and disaster recovery process.
Thanks for any insight you can share!