Spanning a cluster across Data Centers

I am looking to expand my little cluster to a second data center. They will have a very high-speed connection between themselves but with different IP ranges. Is there a reasonable way to bind the across IP ranges. I have never tried this. Anyone knows if this is possible?

1 Like

It is possible. You can use a service like ZeroTier so the servers look like they are on the same network.

Not something we recommend to do at the moment, because latency will likely make your cluster unstable.

What is the recommendation for LXD Clusters to have high availability across Data Centers?

It depends on what you want to do.

If you have for example a Web service, I’d personally say to setup two separate LXD clusters, then setup DNS to load-balance/failover between them. If any of the two clusters goes down, the other should still be able to serve requests. If you need to share data between containers across the two clusters, there are a number of options, depending on the consistency level that you require.

All in all, there’s no one-fit-all answer, as I said it depends on what’s your use case.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer.