How to debug VM boot on LXD?

I don’t know what the issue can be.

@stgraber @monstermunchkin can you think of any reason why the images:ubuntu/focal/cloud VM image wouldn’t start on an RaspberryPI, but the normal images:ubuntu/focal VM image starts fine?

FYI it was working fine before the power cut

Yeah I figured we could clear out any damaged image download by removing the storage pool and deleting the image download, but that has not worked. Perhaps the RPI’s own filesystem has been damaged.

I did an fsck without errors, so the /boot and / partitions are OK

So speaking with @stgraber about this we suspect is may be an issue in our image.

Please can you try launching a VM using the image ubuntu:20.04 which includes cloud-init and see if that works. If so then we know it is an issue to fix in the images:ubuntu/focal/cloud image.

Yes it works with ubuntu:20.04 and cloud-init is working fine!

So, my problem is not related to the power cut? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, sounds like an issue with the image, we’ll need @monstermunchkin to investigate.

I’ve open an internal card to have this be investigated.

1 Like

Is there a way to recover my crashed VM or should I reinstall it on ubuntu:20.04?

Once we figure out what is wrong with the image then we may be able to give some instructions on how to fix it.

1 Like

It turns out, this is an issue with virtiofs. We’ll be disabling it and falling back onto 9p on architectures other than x86_64.

2 Likes