LXD Newbie - setting up public ip

yes i will check the blog posts from @simos again - i have read there today a bit.

Can i install the backporst over my existing lxd installation with

apt install -t xenial-backports lxd lxd-client

without affecting my running containers?

You are trying to set up on a dedicated server (Hetzner calls them rootservers).

You need to know what technical requirements exist, when your dedicated server has more than one IP address. Do you assign them statically to your VMs/containers or is there a DHCP server that will answer to DHCP requests from your VMs/containers?

If you can find documentation on Hetzner on how to use multiple public IP addresses on a dedicated server, then that would be enough to give you help.

Thank you @simos i found some instructions here: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Zusaetzliche_IP-Adressen/en

I will check that. But dont know if i will get all of it right - but will try :wink:

and this https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Virtualisierung/en

Hi @henrik!

My understanding from the Hetzner documentation is this:

1. You have a dedicated server, and using Hetzner Robot, you have asked and got Additional IP addresses.

2. At the Hetzner Robot / Additional IP page, you can set MAC addresses for each IP. You need to do so.
    Assign MAC addresses that start with 00 (i.e. 00:01:02:03:04:05).

3. In LXD, set the MAC address of the containers accordingly, using the command

lxc config set c1 volatile.eth0.hwaddr 00:01:02:03:04:05

That’s it. Follow the bridge or macvlan tutorials and your containers should be able to get their IP address from the Hetzner DHCP server.

Hi @simos, thanks again for your help. I ordered a subnet - so i dont get MAC adresses for the subnet. Thats what Hetzner writes:

Subnets:
For the use of IPs in a subnet with a virtualization solution that does not have routing capabilities a VM is necessary to perform this function. The subnet must then be routed on this VM.

Thats what I´m doing at the moment i created the subnet wih LXD for this Ip adresses and the containers are getting IP´s from the lxd DHCP Server. This is what I wanted to change because i had issues eg. that after reboot the IP Adresses where changed or different IP adresses where assigned. Also if i restart the bridge configuration the IPs getting mixed up and I have no option to define which container should get which IP.

I would love to try it out but Hetzner does not offer additional IP to their cloud servers (which I can try quickly).

I would still consider that setting a permanent MAC address for each container would fix issues, even with the subnet.

ok but for subnets hetzner does not provide mac adresses (as they write in the howtos). I coud give you ssh credentials to the server if you want :slight_smile: then you could check …