Nvidia GPU Passthrough to Linux Container w/ Ubuntu 20.04 (Full Desktop)

I’d like my linux container to have access to the host’s nvidia gpu. It’s a simple use case for my home lab. Searching around turned up a few tutorials and references. However, none of them strike me as on point. For instance, Graber’s explanation from 2017 would fit the bill, but it is surely outdated.

Ubuntu’s site also has this tutorial, but it is meant for Ubuntu 18.04.

Do I need to follow the instructions from theorangeone.net?

Or, maybe I should add access through PCI ID as discussed in this linux container forum post?

Host: Ubuntu 20.04 w/ Ryzen CPU and Nvidia GPU.
Container: Ubuntu 20.04

For the simplest case, all you really need is:

• lxc launch images:ubuntu/20.04 u1 -c nvidia.runtime=true
  • lxc config device add u1 gpu gpu
  • lxc exec u1 bash

The setup hasn’t changed since that Ubuntu 18.04 tutorial and the steps above should work just fine so long as your host system has the drivers and nvidia tools installed.

Ah, thank you so much. That is pretty straightforward.
Is it literally gpu gpu, or do I need to hunt down how my computer references the gpu?

Also… is it possible to add the gpu functionality to the container after creation? My container, cn1, has a full desktop installed. And, it is networked to a Docker container running Apache’s Guacamole so I can access it remotely. So, re-creating the container takes a bit of leg work. If I can add the gpu functionality to it w/ an lxc one-liner, I’d rather do that.

nb: When I mentioned “uncomplicated” in my first post, I had in mind the idea that I can simply pass the entire gpu through to the container. Obviously, the rest of the setup is a bit more complex.

The ‘gpu gpu’ means add a device called gpu that’s of type gpu. When no property is set after that, it tells LXD to just pass in whatever the host has.

To simplify launch you could do:

• lxc profile create nvidia
  • lxc profile set nvidia nvidia.runtime true
  • lxc profile device add nvidia gpu gpu

Then you can just do ‘lxc launch images:ubuntu/20.04 u1 -p default -p nvidia’

That will create a container with both the default and nvidia profiles applied.

Great. I’ll give it a try tonight or tomorrow.

For the sake of certainty, it is not possible to add the nvidia.runtime to a pre-existing container, correct?

I appreciate your attention to my questions.

It is, you just need to stop the container, then do lxc config set NAME nvidia.runtime=true and then start the container again.

Awesome. tyvm.