2 IPs (host and guest) in the same subnet using macvlan

Hello there ! :wave:

I am currently trying to configure an Incus setup and would like to know if what I want to achieve is feasible or not (so that I do not waste my time trying… even if I already spent couple of hours trying to make this work !)

So I have Incus on Ubuntu 24.04LTS configured with a network interface using the macvlan driver.
On the host, I also have a second interface (VLAN) with an IP address in VLAN X.

I have a VM instance running in Incus on which I want to allocate another IP address on that same VLAN X.

Thing is, I am only able to ping/reach the IP address on the host system, not the one on the VM.
If I turn down the VLAN interface on the host, I am able to ping/reach the one on the VM.

I am suspecting either a routing issue, APR issue but I first want to make sure this is feasible before trying any other ways around.

Cheers !

After some more further tests, it seems like the VLAN kernel module (8021q) is in “cause”.
When unloading the module, guest starts to ping (of course, host no longer reply)…

Is there anyway to make this work ?

You may be able to use macvlan on top of the host’s VLAN interface but macvlan has a tendency to be pretty fragile and can have driver-specific behavior.

If possible, the cleaner approach is to configure a bridge on your host system through your distribution’s network configuration tool. You’re mentioning Ubuntu 24.04 LTS so in that case, that’d be netplan.

What I’d probably do in your scenario, considering a physical network interface named eth0 is:

• Define eth0 in netplan but set dhcp4: false, dhcp6: false, accept-ra: false so it doesn’t get any configured addresses
  • Define a eth0.1234 VLAN interface with eth0 as the link and 1234 as the id, also have dhcp4, dhcp6 and accept-ra disabled on this
  • Define a br1234 bridge interface which includes eth0.1234, that interface will have your host’s IP configuration on it, whether that’s DHCP or static

In Incus, you can then use a nic device which looks like this to add an instance to your VLAN 1234:

type: nic
nictype: bridged
parent: br1234
name: eth0

You can do some fancier things too by having just a single bridge (br0) which would include eth0 and then has VLAN filtering enabled so that you can instead do this in Incus:

parent: br0
vlan: 1234
name: eth0

That’s what I do on my production servers, but Netplan doesn’t have full support for this, so I need some additional systemd-networkd units on my system to properly handle that (turn on VLAN filtering and configure the list of valid VLAN IDs on the bridge parent device, eth0 in this scenario)

Hey Stéphane !
Great ! I am giving this a try :slight_smile:

Hello Stéphane,
Looks like the option of adding nic type device is a game changer in my scenario !

One thing I didn’t mention and that may be important in what I want to achieve is that there are other VLANs that need to be accessible on the guest (not on the host)

So the setup is:

• one physical NIC on the host
  • the host need access to VLAN X
  • the guest need access to VLAN X, Y, Z, …

Does that make sense ?

Yeah, so the ideal is definitely to enable systemd vlan filtering on the bridge.
You need to do that through a few extra files in /etc/systemd/networkd as Netplan doesn’t support it natively.

Here is an example from one of my systems:

root@abydos:~# cat /etc/systemd/network/10-netplan-br0.netdev.d/ansible.conf 
[NetDev]
Name=br0
Kind=bridge

[Bridge]
MulticastSnooping=false
VLANFiltering=true
root@abydos:~# cat /etc/systemd/network/10-netplan-bond-sw01.network.d/ansible.conf 
[BridgeVLAN]
VLAN=50
[BridgeVLAN]
VLAN=51
[BridgeVLAN]
VLAN=52
[BridgeVLAN]
VLAN=100
[BridgeVLAN]
VLAN=102
[BridgeVLAN]
VLAN=200

This basically defines my br0 bridge as having VLAN filtering enabled and then the bond-sw01 interface to have a list of 6 VLANs tagged on it.

With that I can then tell Incus to put a container or VM on VLAN 200 on bridge br0 and it will do the right thing.

There’s a Launchpad issue to enable support for it in Netplan: Bug #1793128 “support vlan-aware bridges (vlan-filtering)” : Bugs : Netplan

Wow that is some great stuff :slight_smile:
So basically, I would have to create one nic device for each VLAN and add them to the VM correct ?
Also, I am not sure of the interaction between your br0 and bond-sw01. Where does the host VLAN X address resides in that scenario ?

On a side note, what’s the best way to sponsor you since you are of great help ? :slight_smile:

Here’s what I’m about to try alongside with your systemd files:

root@ipster:/etc/netplan# cat 90-derek-incus_custom.yaml 
# CUSTOM: Derek - Incus
network:
  version: 2
  ethernets:
    eno1:
      dhcp4: false
      dhcp6: false
      accept-ra: false
  vlans:
    vlan2:
      id: 2
      link: eno1
      addresses: [ 10.21.42.10/26 ]
      routes:
        - to: default
          via: 10.21.42.43
      nameservers:
        addresses: [ 10.21.42.1 ]
  bridges:
    br0:
      interfaces:
        - eno1
# \CUSTOM

And add the following device to Incus

incus config device add fw eth0 nic nictype=bridged name=eth0 parent=br0 vlan.tagged=X,Y,Z

Does that make sense ? :slight_smile:

You can pass multiple VLANs to a VM or container with:

parent: br0
vlan: 100
vlan.tagged: 200,201,202

Which will then make VLAN 100 the untagged VLAN on the instance’s NIC and pass in 200,201,202 as additional tagged VLANs.

The netplan config above will work but it will have one annoying issue.

As you’re taking VLAN 2 out of eno1, that VLAN will not be available on br0.

So if you have containers that need access to VLAN2, that won’t work.

You have two solutions to fix this:

1. Change your physical switch config so VLAN2 is the untagged VLAN for your server, at which point you can change your static IP config to be on the br0 interface instead and you can then set VLAN 1 for any container that needs access to that untagged VLAN.
  2. Create another bridge, say br-vlan2, put your vlan2 device into that, put the IP config on top of that bridge and then have the instances that need access to vlan2 to get a nic bridged to that bridge.

I’d obviously go with 1) if you have control over the physical network as that keeps things very clean :slight_smile:

Good catch ! One thing tho, I need the VLAN 2 to be “tagged” in the VM for different reason. It then cannot be untagged.
I’d then have to go with the 2 bridges solution

Ah yeah, I’m not aware of any good way to re-number things sadly. It’d be great to have it be untagged on the host but then effectively configure things for that untagged VLAN (treated as VLAN 1 by Linux) to be mapped to say VLAN 200 in the instance.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Linux had some kind of way to do that but I haven’t yet found it, so if anyone knows how to configured a VLAN-enable bridged to do that kind of translation, let me know and we can look at adding that to Incus, it’d be pretty neat!

1 Like