2nd System upgraded from Ubuntu 20.04 w/working LXD to Ubuntu 22.04 - LXD again not working

Yeah that’s what bothered me

A clean install of 22.04 and everything works including LXD

Doing an “upgrade” from 20.04 to 22.04 and LXD gets broken until I remove CGROUP 2

Yep sounds like an issue with how systemd is setting up cgroups in the upgrade from Focal to Jammy.

Filed a bug:

[Bug 1971571] [NEW] ubuntu 22.04 cgroup2 works for clean install but upgrade to 22.04 causes cgroup2 problems

1 Like

Hi All, I’ve run afoul of this issue on my laptop and I went to add GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=“systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0” to my /etc/default/grub However, the file didn’t exist and even creating it and adding that line with a following update-grub hasn’t worked. Is there a way to verify this setting after it it set?

Much Appreciated.

What OS are you running?

Ubuntu 22.04

Same as me

That file exists by default on fresh installations, and is the correct place to put it.
Did you upgrade or do a fresh install of Ubuntu?

Upgrade from 20.04

Sounds like a bug report to Ubuntu upstream could be in order as there seems to be some issues around upgrading from previous versions. Is there a /etc/default/grub.bak file?

What is the output of sudo update-grub?

I did an update to 22.04 from 20.04 today and everything is running perfectly. I am not seeing this bug.

Which “bug”. There were a couple talked about in the thread

I am seeing absolutely no problems.

1 Like

Hi Brian, I got a very similar situation, and the cultprit was surprisingly umask. I wonder if this is also the case for you.

FWIW worth, after upgrading my Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04, all the servers have the same issue when I try to create a Centos/7

lxc launch images:centos/7 centtie-7

Gives me error:

Error: The image used by this instance requires a CGroupV1 host system

I’ve tried the various suggestions of changing the umask detailed here

I had also tried changing the line in my /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=false"

and then doing:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

and then rebooting the host.

None of those helped alleviate the problem. Am I missing a step somewhere. I have no issue creating this on a Ubuntu 20.04 host. I can create Ubuntu and Debian latest versions of containers fine. I haven’t tried really old versions beside the centos 7 yet.

I’m running lxd version 5.8 on all the servers.

uname -a
on my Arm host is running
5.15.0-1026-aws 2022 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

on one of my x64 hosts having the same issue, I’m running

5.15.0-50-generic 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Forgot to mention, I also tried:

sudo upgrade-grub

and the output is

Sourcing file /etc/default/grub' Sourcing file /etc/default/grub.d/40-force-partuuid.cfg’
Sourcing file /etc/default/grub.d/50-cloudimg-settings.cfg' Sourcing file /etc/default/grub.d/init-select.cfg’
Generating grub configuration file …
GRUB_FORCE_PARTUUID is set, will attempt initrdless boot
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-1026-aws
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-1026-aws
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-1022-aws
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-1022-aws
Warning: os-prober will not be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Systems on them will not be added to the GRUB boot configuration.
Check GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER documentation entry.
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings …
done

The other hosts I have having the issue are all physical machines. This is the only one that is a Virtual machine. They all return similar output

What does cat /proc/cmdline show?

For this

cat /proc/cmdline

One of my x64 physical hosts with the issue has

BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-5.15.0-50-generic root=/dev/mapper/lvm-root ro console=ttyS1,115200n8 quiet

another physical host I recently upgraded with same issue has

BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-5.15.0-48-generic root=/dev/mapper/lvm-root ro quiet splash console=ttyS1,115200n8 vt.handoff=7

the amazon ARM VM one with same issue has:

BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-1026-aws root=PARTUUID=5141fba5-5f1f-4a10-b95e-5ddeff69ef83 ro console=ttyS0 nvme_core.io_timeout=4294967295 panic=-1

So I do this:

Edit /etc/default/grub and ensure that GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX contains systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=false:

E.g.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=false"

Then run:

sudo update-grub

Then reboot, and you should see it in the kernel cmdline:

cat /proc/cmdline 
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-56-generic root=UUID=3710b4e6-c6e9-4675-a1b2-53f524dce111 ro systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=false quiet splash console=tty1 console=ttyS0 vt.handoff=7
2 Likes

Thanks that did the trick. I guess my mistake before was putting it in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line instead of the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line

1 Like