Add block device to lvm storage pool

Hi!
I’d like to give a container more storage space and I need to add another block device(s) to do so. The storage pool was created by
lxc storage create lxdpool lvm source=/dev/sda4 lvm.vg_name=vglxdpool
and now I’d like to add /dev/sda5 to the volume group. I would have used pvcreate and vgextend and then resize the LV, but I read somewhere not to use lvextend but the tools LXD provides - but I did not find a solution.
After the storage pool is resized, I’d like to resize the root device size of an container. Can I just stop the container, change the device size (how?) and start it again? (The container uses 300G of the avail 500G pool)

LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
lvhome vgdata -wi-ao---- 1,00t
LXDThinPool vglxdpool twi-aotz-- <499,75g 42,52 24,78
containers_t vglxdpool Vwi-aotz-k <279,40g LXDThinPool 76,06

(sorry, I wasn’t able to format the tabs)

So, what is the right way to add a partition to the VG, extend it, resize thinpool and after that, resize the root device of the container?

Thank you!

I tried to add another partition to the volume group (pvcreate and pvextend) but I can’t use it even if i resize the container. The storage pool still show a total space of 499.75g - the size of the first partition in the volume group.
Did I screw up by setting the source of the storage pool to a partition (source=/dev/sda4) rather than to the existing volume group?

lxd has been taken in-house by Canonical and is no longer part of linuxcontainers.org.

Questions about lxd should now be posted at LXD - Ubuntu Community Hub

thank you. i will migrate to incus asap.

I’m quite sure this is the same for incus /LXD (?):
VG could not be resized, partition couldn’t be added (although shown as part of VG, but pool couldn’t use the space) because storage was created with source=<DEV>. Solution: New VG on different devices, pool created with source VG, container moved to new pool, old pool deleted, container size set higher.
Configuration fault, my bad.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.