Configuration Guide for creating an LXD Windows VM and Configuring RemoteAPPs to work from our Ubuntu Desktop

I spent this week documenting all the steps required and put it all into a PDF on Github:

https://github.com/bmullan/Windows-VM-RemoteApp-Configuration-Guide-for-Ubuntu

NOTE:
In this Configuration Guide I am using a Windows 7 Ultimate version because I have a license for that. In the Guide you will find other versions of Windows that Kim Knight’s RemoteAppTool also works with but the configuration steps may differ from say Windows 7 to Windows 10.

If you try this out and have a problem you can private msg (email me) and I’ll see if I can help.
Brian

2 Likes

You can also download the latest Windows 10 ISO for free from Microsoft. I think it gives you 30 days of use or something, before it starts nagging and turns your Windows background into a black image (and forbid changes in some other configuration).

There is also the option to switch to Windows Insider. You exchange your privacy altogether into using Windows for free.

A final option is to find a Windows build that is aimed at VMs. At least some time ago, Microsoft used to give such images and they would expire in a few months or so. Most likely they were specific VM images but it is worth researching.

Thanks Simos!