Consistent timeout when stopping container

I am running on void-linux, with zfs as my backend storage,
I seem unable to stop any of my containers without -f.
The stop command consistently time out, where do I start debugging this?

I don’t have void-linux though I can see that Incus has container images for Void Linux. Can you check whether the issue also exists when you launch a Void Linux container image (with security.nesting=true in order to install and use Incus within such an instance)? If the issue still exists in such a setup, then you would have achieved to reproduce the issue in a controlled environment.

I did as suggest, it seems not to have changed, maybe the fact that I’m managing the bridge interface manually has something to do with it?

Here is the current config, and I still failed to shut it down normally:

architecture: x86_64
config:
  image.architecture: amd64
  image.description: Voidlinux current amd64 (20250120_17:10)
  image.os: Voidlinux
  image.release: current
  image.serial: "20250120_17:10"
  image.type: squashfs
  image.variant: default
  security.nesting: "true"
  volatile.base_image: 7e18560221d9013a93fc8f82d0523e0b695a4829f69565a53514a0cff2c20b49
  volatile.cloud-init.instance-id: d2337b98-6926-444c-aa45-fcd57903ca83
  volatile.eth0.host_name: viftest
  volatile.eth0.hwaddr: 00:16:3e:bc:50:60
  volatile.idmap.base: "1131072"
  volatile.idmap.current: '[{"Isuid":true,"Isgid":false,"Hostid":1131072,"Nsid":0,"Maprange":65536},{"Isuid":false,"Isgid":true,"Hostid":1131072,"Nsid":0,"Maprange":65536}]'
  volatile.idmap.next: '[{"Isuid":true,"Isgid":false,"Hostid":1131072,"Nsid":0,"Maprange":65536},{"Isuid":false,"Isgid":true,"Hostid":1131072,"Nsid":0,"Maprange":65536}]'
  volatile.last_state.idmap: '[]'
  volatile.last_state.power: RUNNING
  volatile.last_state.ready: "false"
  volatile.uuid: 9899b396-eef6-40a8-b68b-a1ee44310bd0
  volatile.uuid.generation: 9899b396-eef6-40a8-b68b-a1ee44310bd0
devices:
  eth0:
    host_name: viftest
    name: eth0
    nictype: bridged
    parent: vbr0
    type: nic
ephemeral: false
profiles:
- default
stateful: false
description: ""

This is still an issue with incus 7.4:
incus launch images:voidlinux/amd64 -c security.nesting=true void-test

$ incus-a info --show-log void-test
Name: void-test
Description:
Status: RUNNING
Type: container
Architecture: x86_64
PID: 20898
Created: 2026/09/05 10:36 EDT
Last Used: 2026/09/05 10:36 EDT
Started: 2026/09/05 10:36 EDT

Resources:
Processes: 16
Disk usage:
root: 836.00KiB
CPU usage:
CPU usage (in seconds): 1
Memory usage:
Memory (current): 28.74MiB
Network usage:
eth0:
Type: broadcast
State: UP
Host interface: vethc8689008
MAC address: 10:66:6a:41:63:f4
MTU: 1500
Bytes received: 98.98kB
Bytes sent: 1.73kB
Packets received: 946
Packets sent: 15
IP addresses:
inet: 10.167.83.48/24 (global)
inet6: fd42:d4d9:80b5:acbd:1266:6aff:fe41:63f4/64 (global)
inet6: fe80::1266:6aff:fe41:63f4/64 (link)
lo:
Type: loopback
State: UP
MTU: 65536
Bytes received: 0B
Bytes sent: 0B
Packets received: 0
Packets sent: 0
IP addresses:
inet: 127.0.0.1/8 (local)
inet6: ::1/128 (local)

Log (lxc.log)

I found a solution.

On the host, configure the container:

incus config set <container name> raw.lxc="lxc.signal.halt=SIGCONT"