Containers do not launch on Linux 5.12

I should note that my failure to reproduce this with the shadow utils package from Ubuntu on a 5.12 kernel was due to the fact that on Ubuntu shadow seems to compile without libcap support because it’s assumed to be setuid.

@Foxboron any chance you can land this in the Archlinux shadow package even before we make a new shadow release?

Woopsie, sorry :slight_smile: I don’t maintain it so need to pass the patches and see what the maintainer thinks. Sorry for the slow response!

EDIT: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/70768

I probably didn’t convey the issue perfectly but hopefully the maintainers understand this better then me :slight_smile:

This is still issue on Arch… :confused:

Are you sure your packages are up to date?
uname -r && pacman -Q lxc lxd shadow

I am with:

5.11.2-arch1-1
lxc 1:4.0.9-1
lxd 4.14-1
shadow 4.8.1-4

You are running a pretty “old” kernel, I suggest updating against a synchronized mirror and rebooting, and if you still have the issue, providing more information and logs.

This issue also can’t exist on the kernel that @amarc is using since the patch is only available in 5.12+ kernels. :slight_smile:

Well… I did not reboot, true… but I do not think that should cause issue. Error I get is:

qemu-system-x86_64:/var/log/lxd/foss3/qemu.conf:44: memdev=mem0 is ambiguous

Qemu 6.0 is not currently supported by LXD I’m afraid due to several upstream bugs, once they have been fixed and either upstream or packager has back ported them we can find out if there are any other issues.

Downgrading to qemu 5.x fixes above and I am able to launch VM’s…

1 Like

Oh so this was even about VMs then this is completely unrelated to the issue here which was about containers. :slight_smile:

Tracking QEMU 6.0 support here:

1 Like