Educational Use and setup question

Hopefully this is the right section for this, i apologize if its not.

So I am tasked with setting up a lab assignment for some students in a networking class. I am running into some issues when i am setting up the following configuration, and i would like to ask for someones help , or maybe some pointers for my setup.

Engineering

The idea is the following ( i will use one student as an example)…

I will have one student able to ssh into the Ubuntu (not sure if it should be a container or vm) MainBox , which is labeled in the diagram. The ubuntu Mainbox will have connection to WAN ,but it will not be able to communicate with anything on LAN #1 or LAN#2 , something like a virtual wire is plugged but not setup to communicate.

The student will then be tasked to configure the MainBox as a router by properly setting up the iptables . The MainBox will have 3 VNics ( 1 for WAN, 1 for LAN #1, and 1 for LAN#2).

The setup needs to connect LAN#1 to the MainBox and WAN , and LAN#2 to MainBox and WAN, and also LAN#1 should communicate with LAN #2.

My question is how can i setup an LXD configuration to work in the following way …

Also, lets say i have multiple students (i.e 3), and i want to make sure they each do their own work and whatever eachone does with the iptables and configuration stays seperate from the other ? would having seperate user accounts be helpful in this situation ? Should i have this setup for each student (Possible as a template setup and then copied for each student)?

Direct connections between containers aren’t super practical to setup, but you can get something equivalent by doing:

• Create two bridges, one for each subnet
  • Create Ubuntu container with 3 interfaces, one on each bridge and one for the WAN
  • Then you can misconfigure your Ubuntu box in whatever way you want and have them fix it.

Network config is global to the container or VM so it’s different accounts for each student won’t really help you. Instead, creating the same setup (3 containers, 2 bridges) for each student is likely the easiest.

Got it, thank y ou so much!

so im still struggling with this, i tried setting up 2 vlans but i ended up going crazy. How can i create 2 subnets that the mainbox can connect to ? how would i setup the subnets on my ubuntu server essentially ?

So I can understand what you’re trying to achieve better, can you explain which do you consider are LXD containers in the diagram above?

All of them

I was thinking about this and I believe the easiest way to create private subnets which allow ethernet communication between different containers without involving the host is to use a dummy device on the host for each subnet and then added macvlan NICs to each container using the relevant dummy device as the parent, e.g.

Lets create a router container that has its eth0 connected to the default lxdbr0 managed bridge (for external connectivity to the host and beyond).

Then lets setup subnet1 and connect the router and a subnet1-c1 container together, and configure the subnet1-c1 container to use router as its default gateway.

First, create the router (assuming that the default protocol is configured to connect eth0 to the lxdbr0 bridge):

lxc init images:ubuntu/focal router
lxc config show router --expanded
devices:
  eth0:
    name: eth0
    network: lxdbr0
    type: nic

Now lets create the dummy device for subnet1 on the host and create a LXD macvlan network to reference it:

sudo ip link add subnet1 type dummy
sudo ip link set subnet1 up
lxc network create subnet1 --type=macvlan parent=subnet1

Now lets connect router to subnet1 using a new eth1 NIC:

lxc config device add router eth1 nic network=subnet1

Start the router container and configure a manual IP inside the container on eth1.

lxc start router
lxc exec router -- ip a add 10.0.0.1/24 dev eth1
lxc ls router
+--------+---------+-------------------+-----------------------------------------------+-----------+-----------+
|  NAME  |  STATE  |       IPV4        |                     IPV6                      |   TYPE    | SNAPSHOTS |
+--------+---------+-------------------+-----------------------------------------------+-----------+-----------+
| router | RUNNING | 10.98.30.9 (eth0) | fd42:f402:8623:5b6b:216:3eff:fe32:b4ab (eth0) | CONTAINER | 0         |
|        |         | 10.0.0.1 (eth1)   |                                               |           |           |

Now lets create a new container called subnet1-c1 that only has its eth0 connected to subnet1 (i.e it has no external connectivity).

lxc init images:ubuntu/focal subnet1-c1
lxc config device add subnet1-c1 eth0 nic network=subnet1
lxc config show subnet1-c1 --expanded
devices:
  eth0:
    network: subnet1
    type: nic

Start the container and then setup its IP manually, and check connectivity to router.

lxc start subnet1-c1
lxc exec subnet1-c1 -- ip a add 10.0.0.2/24 dev eth0
lxc exec subnet1-c1 -- ping -c1 10.0.0.1

If that is working then you have basic subnet connectivity up and running.

Now to get the router container operation as a router, and informing subnet1-c1 to use it as its default gateway.

Lets enable IPv4 forwarding and add a SNAT rule to the router container:

lxc exec router -- sysctl sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
lxc exec router -- apt install iptables -y
lxc exec router -- iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

Now instruct subnet1-c1 to use router for its default gateway and check external connectivity.

lxc exec subnet1-c1 -- ip r add default 10.0.0.1 dev eth0
lxc exec subnet1-c1 -- ping -c1 8.8.8.8