Error: Failed to setup device mount: idmapping abilities are required but aren't supported on system

Trying to start a container results in the following message:

Error: Failed to setup device mount ...: idmapping abilities are required but aren't supported on system

This is with a container that was previously started successfully, multiple times.
I’m using incus version 6.1 (both client and server).
The only thing I can think of that changed in the meantime and could have caused it, is that I updated kernel to 6.9.1.

Any ideas what might be wrong here?

1 Like

I have the exact same problem, I can confirme it’s due to the upgrade to 6.9.1, I downgraded to 6.8.9 and everything is working again.

I’ve posted in Arch forum about it : Unable to use idmapping in incus with linux 6.9 / Kernel & Hardware / Arch Linux Forums

I’m still somewhat of a newbie when it comes to incus inner working but I’ll keep digging.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m on arch too.

1 Like

Same here. There is a Github issue that was created for this. I’m currently dead in the water at work after this issue since I’m using an LXC for my dev environment. Depending on the timing of when this gets fixed I may have to figure out how to revert the kernel to an earlier version.

I just sent a fix for this now, but you’re going to need to have your distro packager to include it on top of 6.1 if you don’t want to have to wait for 6.2.

2 Likes