Export : storage pool not found

Hi,

I am trying to make a backup of my custom storage volume as stated here How to back up custom storage volumes - Incus documentation … but I fail.

This is probably me, but:

➜ incus storage list
+---------+--------+-----------+-------------+-------------+---------+
|   NOM   | PILOTE |  SOURCE   | DESCRIPTION | UTILISÉ PAR |  ÉTAT   |
| default | zfs    | rpool/lxd |             | 12          | CREATED |

➜ incus storage info default
info:
description: “”
driver: zfs
espace total: 227.70GiB
espace utilisé: 106.16GiB
name: default
utilisé par:
instances:

• […]
  • talend-open-studio
    profiles:

➜ incus storage volume export default talend-open-studio talend-volume.tar.gz
Error: Failed to create storage volume backup: Storage pool volume not found

So, I am probalby using the wrong syntax… any hint is welcome.

Thanks
Franck

Can you show incus storage volume list default?

Sure. Here it is:

➜ incus storage volume list default
+----------------------+---------------------------------+-------------+-----------------+-------------+
|         TYPE         |               NOM               | DESCRIPTION | TYPE DE CONTENU | UTILISÉ PAR |
+----------------------+---------------------------------+-------------+-----------------+-------------+
| container            | aja-dataroom                    |             | filesystem      | 1           |
| container (snapshot) | aja-dataroom/20200901           |             | filesystem      | 0           |
| container (snapshot) | aja-dataroom/20200902           |             | filesystem      | 0           |
| container            | [....]              |             | filesystem      | 1           |
| container            | talend-open-studio              |             | filesystem      | 1           |

What you shared only shows container volumes, no custom volumes.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

there is something I missed then…
Doc on backup says

Important

If your Incus server uses any external storage (for example, LVM volume groups, ZFS zpools, or any other resource that isn’t directly self-contained to Incus), you must back this up separately.

See How to back up custom storage volumes for instructions.

My storage is backed by a zfs pool. So I thought I had to backup my “disks” separately than my incus “metadata”.

So I went here How to back up custom storage volumes - Incus documentation and tried the command…

SO… what am I missing (or is there some docs I must read that you can point me to ?).

Thanks
Franck

Ah yeah, no idea what that link is doing there, it certainly should be there.

There are no instructions on how to backup your specific storage as that widely varies based on what it is and what kind of strategy you want to use for your backups.

In the case of a ZFS pool, you’d most likely be making a backup of /var/lib/incus combined with some kind of send/receive based backup of your zpool itself.

doc/backup: Remove bad reference by stgraber · Pull Request #630 · lxc/incus · GitHub will remove the wrong reference from the doc.

Am I true to say that:

incus export talend-open-studio

will create a portable and self contained archive that will allow me to restore it on any other incus server ?
Or do I need a more complex strategy ?

You’re correct the tarball will allow for restoring the instance elsewhere, though not that it doesn’t include any custom volumes that may be attached. You’ll also need to separately make sure that all needed profiles, networks, … exist prior to importing the backup.

Stéphane