Fedora-33 HOST / Fedora-33 LXC GUEST :: WARN[0000] The cgroupv2 manager is set to systemd but there is no systemd user session available

Hello Friends:

I have Fedora-33 x86_64 running as my bare-metal O/S, and also have Fedora-33 x86_64 running as my LXC (not LXD) container (lxc01). lxc01 is running with systemd, and with /sbin/init as process ID 1 (so nothing esoteric there).

When I run Fedoras podman(1) command (i.e RedHat's improvement to docker), the output suggests that lxc01 may not be booted optimally. Meaning that perhaps (I’m speculating) something in it’s /var/lib/lxc/lxc01/config file needs adjusting.

Both Fedora and LXC versions have been updated since I last tweaked that file, so maybe some parameters need updating now.

Looking at the below diagnostic message, does anyone have an idea what config parameter(s), if any, might need updating? Or whatever else?

Thank you in advance!

jdoe@lxc01$ podman images
WARN[0000] The cgroupv2 manager is set to systemd but there is no systemd user session available 
WARN[0000] For using systemd, you may need to login using an user session 
WARN[0000] Alternatively, you can enable lingering with: `loginctl enable-linger 500` (possibly as root) 
WARN[0000] Falling back to --cgroup-manager=cgroupfs    
WARN[0000] The cgroupv2 manager is set to systemd but there is no systemd user session available 
WARN[0000] For using systemd, you may need to login using an user session 
WARN[0000] Alternatively, you can enable lingering with: `loginctl enable-linger 500` (possibly as root) 
WARN[0000] Falling back to --cgroup-manager=cgroupfs    
REPOSITORY  TAG     IMAGE ID  CREATED  SIZE

Answer:

Just as the following to this file, creating it if necessary:
${HOME}/.config/containers/containers.conf:

[engine]
events_logger = "file"
cgroup_manager = "cgroupfs"
1 Like