IPv6 configuration times out

I want to use SLAAC to network my containers with IPv6, but the addresses and routes keep expiring and not getting renewed. This is my network configuration:

$ lxd network show lxdbr0
config:
  ipv4.address: none
  ipv6.address: 2602:ff75:7:373c::1/64
  ipv6.dhcp: "false"
  ipv6.firewall: "true"
  ipv6.nat: "false"
  ipv6.routing: "true"

And here’s the view from one of my containers. At first, all is well,

# ip -6 addr
12: eth0@if13: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 state UP qlen 1000
    inet6 2602:ff75:7:373c:216:3eff:feb6:747e/64 scope global mngtmpaddr dynamic 
       valid_lft 3472sec preferred_lft 3472sec
    inet6 fe80::216:3eff:feb6:747e/64 scope link 
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
# ip -6 ro
2602:ff75:7:373c::/64 dev eth0 proto kernel metric 256  expires 3356sec pref medium
fe80::/64 dev eth0 proto kernel metric 256  pref medium
default via fe80::d057:eeff:fea6:bfc9 dev eth0 proto ra metric 1024  expires 1556sec hoplimit 64 pref medium

But after those timers count down to 0, the address and the default route disappear, leaving the container without connectivity. It’s my understanding that dnsmasq should be sending out router advertisements to periodically renew them…

I’m running on an Ubuntu 18.04 host, and I’m seeing this with both the standard Ubuntu 18.04 and Debian 9 images. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hi @yoryan

Please can you send the output of ps aux | grep dnsmasq on your host machine?

Did you add any custom firewall rules out of interest? Could you provide the output of:

iptables -L -v -n and ebtables -L

Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom,

Right here.

$ ps aux | grep dnsmasq
lxd       6557  0.0  0.1  51580  1636 ?        S    Jun29   0:09 dnsmasq --strict-order --bind-interfaces --pid-file=/var/lib/lxd/networks/lxdbr0/dnsmasq.pid --except-interface=lo --interface=lxdbr0 --quiet-dhcp --quiet-dhcp6 --quiet-ra --listen-address=2602:ff75:7:373c::1 --enable-ra --dhcp-range ::,constructor:lxdbr0,ra-only -s lxd -S /lxd/ --conf-file=/var/lib/lxd/networks/lxdbr0/dnsmasq.raw -u lxd
$ cat /var/lib/lxd/networks/lxdbr0/dnsmasq.raw

There are no firewall rules to my knowledge. This is a barebones Ubuntu Server install.

# iptables -nvL
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 602K packets, 84M bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 65007 packets, 43M bytes)

# ebtables -L
Bridge table: filter

Bridge chain: INPUT, entries: 0, policy: ACCEPT

Bridge chain: FORWARD, entries: 0, policy: ACCEPT

Bridge chain: OUTPUT, entries: 0, policy: ACCEPT

@yoryan thanks, I meant ip6tables -L -v -n, my bad.

Oops!

# ip6tables -nvL
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 24 packets, 1830 bytes)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
    0     0 ACCEPT     all      *      lxdbr0  ::/0                 ::/0                 /* generated for LXD network lxdbr0 */
    0     0 ACCEPT     all      lxdbr0 *       ::/0                 ::/0                 /* generated for LXD network lxdbr0 */

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 53 packets, 5396 bytes)

Cool thanks.

So I’ve re-created the behaviour in my LXD environment, in that I didn’t see any router advertisements being periodically sent without adding the something like ra-param=lxdbr0,high,120,3600 to the dnsmasq command line arguments.

Can you run this inside your container for 10 minutes tcpdump -i eth0 icmp6 -nn -l and check your container is not getting any router advertisements.

What’s interesting, is that although I couldn’t see any advertisements after a few minutes, I also didn’t see the “expires” output on my ip -6 ro command inside the container, suggesting the route I got wasn’t going to expire.

I’m not sure what the default dnsmasq advertisement frequency is, but it certainly is more than 5 minutes.

Can you also run sysctl -a | grep ipv6 | grep eth0 inside your container please.

Happy to say I’ve figured this one out.

Background: I’m running LXD on a VPS, and these providers do really strange things with their IPv6 configs. Typically, they will “assign” you a /64 prefix (or part of it), but instead of routing said prefix to your VM, they’ll place all of your addresses on a single /48 subnet, with the gateway located at the beginning of that prefix. In concrete terms, my VPS is assigned the address range from 2602:ff75:7:373c::0 to 2602:ff75:7:373c:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff, and my gateway is located at 2602:ff75:7::1.

My goal is to give each LXD container a unique IPv6 address from this range. So, I assigned the prefix 2602:ff75:7:373c::1/64 to lxdbr0, and used ndppd to proxy the Neighbor Advertisements necessary to route traffic between the WAN interface (ens3) and the containers (lxdbr0).

With this setup, my routing table resembled this:

2602:ff75:7:373c::         dev ens3
2602:ff75:7:373c::/64      dev lxdbr0
2602:ff75:7:373c::/48      dev ens3
default via 2602:ff75:7::1 dev ens3

As you can see, I had overlapping prefixes on ens3 and lxdbr0. I suspect this somehow confused dnsmasq and prevented it from periodically refreshing Router Advertisements.

The fix was to remove the /48 prefix from ens3 and use on-link addressing. (Side note - this requires some scripting, because neither netplan nor ifupdown can configure this natively.) This is my new routing table:

2602:ff75:7:373c::         dev ens3
2602:ff75:7::1             dev ens3
2602:ff75:7:373c::/64      dev lxdbr0
default via 2602:ff75:7::1 dev ens3

And now my containers are receiving RA’s and maintaining connectivity indefinitely, as intended. As a bonus, my routes are no longer showing timeouts, too.

Hi @yoryan, glad to hear you figured it out. Yes the route expiry timers were strange as I wasn’t seeing them on my setup.

Your setup is quite common, running LXD on a VPS with multiple IPs routed to the container or in the same layer 2 domain a the container. With the desire to get the public IPs directly into the container.

If you don’t need your containers to access services running on the host VPS (and vice versa), then you could also look into using the ipvlan NIC type https://lxd.readthedocs.io/en/latest/containers/#nictype-ipvlan which provides for the ability to statically define one or more IPs from the host’s subnet into the container. Under the hood it also uses proxy NDP so it would do away with the need for ndppd too. This assumes you’re just trying to give each container one or more static IPs.

The downside of IPVLAN is that containers and hosts cannot communicate (this is by design of IPVLAN module). However there are discussions ongoing about adding a “routed” mode that would use a veth pair between container and host, but do away with the bridge and use proxy NDP and proxy ARP settings to allow the container to have an IP from the parent LAN.

This would allow containers to talk to the host, and containers to have public IPs.

Bionic’s version of LXD is too old (3.03) for ipvlan, but I appreciate the pointer. Will keep it in mind for next time.