Looking for a list of LXC managers

What are the options available for remote LXC management? I have a bare metal server where I am thinking of hosting LXCs, but would like to find some type of GUI to manage LXCs either remotely or on the server.

Hi yogi,

I am using this at the moment. It works very well for most things.

I can manage all my servers and their containers remotely.

Below are a few screen shots taking a few minutes ago

Can lxd be used to manage remote containers?

Not to toot my own horn or anything but I think mine is currently the most feature rich and supports managing an unlimited number of remote hosts

@bmullan put together a list on reddit which you can see below (the pictures of LXDMosaic are very out of date on the reddit post)

3 Likes

Which ports have to be open on the LXD host to add it as a server?

Any port you specify (and told LXD to run on 8443 is the default)

@turtle0x1

LXDMosaic has had so many improvements & enhancements since I made that post on the LXD sub-reddit perhaps when you get some time you could put together a new post w some pictures to show/explain all the great features & capabilities LXDMosaic has now ?

If you haven’t done so yet, might I suggest even doing a multi-part video demo and post to youtube like I did for my project “CIAB Remote Desktop System” to show potential LXDMosaic Users all it can do?

I know that takes some time but I put together my 3 part video in a day and think it helps not only explain features but “how-to” do things with the application. I used simplescreenrecorder to create my video’s as its simple to use and does a great job. It lets you record either a full screen or just a section of the screen if you want.

By the way you are doing terrific work improving LXDMosaic !

Brian

Awesome, I’m glad you tooted your horn…I just getting up to speed with learning more of the available tools for container management. I manage just over 200 containers on 12 different servers around the world. Most of my work is remote and I enjoy cli interface most of the time. However I am glad to connect with guys like you that put together incredibly useful tools for LXD/LXC works. The repo I cloned was one I found in git. Its dated, but does work. Looking forward to trying yours. Thanks for sharing!

Pleas excuse me if I got this wrong, but from your Wiki I gather it requires LXD, so it’s not an LXC interface per se, In my case I use Debian and LXC, not LXD, so this won´t work for me, is that correct?
Thank you for your time, it does indeed looks like a great work!

No sure who you are replying to but you are right none of these projects target LXC as far as im aware

I my opinion it would be unusual to write a manager for LXC directly, the only one I really know of is proxmox! (but you then of course get pulled into the whole proxmox eco system)

Thank you for your answer, I’m sorry I didn’t quoted properly, I was asking [turtle0x1].
I agree, all I need is to be able to manage a few containers in a more comfortable way (I’m lazy) and proxmox is not the way to go for me, I’ve tried it, is has some big disadvantages for my use case.

Yogi, I will add to the list the LXD dashboard by LXDWARE as it will allow you to control multiple remote LXD servers from a web-based dashboard. You can find it here: https://lxdware.com

3 Likes