Сloud VMs stuck in continuous boot loop

Hi everyone,

I am new to Incus and trying to set up virtual machines, but I’ve run into a boot loop issue.

Whenever I launch any VM using a cloud variant image (e.g. images:ubuntu/noble/cloud, Debian cloud, etc.), the machine enters a boot loop right after starting. It reboots every 2–4 seconds and never completes booting.

Environment:

  • Host OS: Arch Linux
  • Host Kernel: 7.2.7-arch1-1
  • Incus version: 7.5.1

Console output (Ubuntu 24.04 example):

BdsDxe: loading Boot0008 "Ubuntu" from HD(1,GPT,949B49E5-48C6-40AE-A6B3-D8FE71534D68,0x800,0x32000)/\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi
BdsDxe: starting Boot0008 "Ubuntu" from HD(1,GPT,949B49E5-48C6-40AE-A6B3-D8FE71534D68,0x800,0x32000)/\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi
[    2.269753] cloud-init[339]: Cloud-init v. 26.1-0ubuntu1~24.04.1 running 'init-local' at Sun, 27 Sep 2026 09:35:50 +0000. Up 2.21 seconds.
[FAILED] Failed unmounting run-incus_agent.mount - /run/incus_agent.
[    4.402913] reboot: Restarting system

What could be causing this immediate reboot across cloud images, and what am I missing? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Yep there’s a problem with the current release, currently being solved.

Ahh.. while typing about same issue, this was posted :smiley:
As a workaround I manually imported official Ubuntu images.