Lxc container starts without networking

Hello,

I’m running lxc 0.8.0~rc1-8+deb7u1 on Debian wheezy with a single container.

The issue is after master server reboots the container instance either fails to start up or starts without networking.
It’s just a timing thing, and restarting the lxc is normally all that is required.

I have just inherited this server and that’s all the details I have.
I can’t even test the behaviour as the master server is very important and runs many services.
So any reboots, downtime and experiments are restricted to absolute minimum.

Since it’s an old version of lxc it doesn’t seem to support certain tools and commands, e.g:

$ sudo lxc config set instance boot.autostart.delay 30
E: lxc-config - no such program

Even without the tool I should be able to set this parameter (30 seconds delay) by appending:
“lxc.start.delay = 30” to /vol/lxc/instance/config

But I doubt that is the answer as what it actually does is “the system should wait x seconds before starting the next container”.
So I would expect the first (and only) one to still boot normally.
It’s also based on assumption that lxc service itself is fully functional and doesn’t need a restart.

I’ve checked /etc/rc2.d (my default run level is 2) and lxc here is at the bottom of the list:

(…)
S17lxc
S18cron
S18mysql
S19bacula-director
S19postfix
S20rc.local
S20rmnologin
S20stop-bootlogd

Are there any big risks associated with moving lxc to the very end of the startup list?
Is it a good idea at all?

I’m even more tempted to change:

# Required-Start:       $syslog $remote_fs
# Required-Stop:        $syslog $remote_fs

in /etc/init.d/lxc

to

# Required-Start:       $network $syslog $remote_fs
# Required-Stop:        $network $syslog $remote_fs

Or maybe there an option in lxc config better suited for what I’m trying to achieve?

Thanks
Adam

Sorry but the LXC versions we currently properly support are 1.0.9, 2.0.8, and 2.1. LXC 0.8 is not even a stable version and really really old. Digging up that codebase at this point is like looking at a new program. It would be good if you could upgrade to one of the supported versions. Not just because we don’t support 0.8 but also for the sake of security.