Lxc-create template-based lxc container on ubuntu 20.04

Since Ubuntu 20.04 doesn’t provide a deb yum package anymore, i was looking into how to create a template-based LXC container (-t template) if for some reason one did not want to do an image-based (-t download) build on Ubuntu 20.04 (or any other distro that doesn’t provide yum and rpm).

I was going to ask you a question about this, but I sort of answered it myself.

I think the best way to do a (-t template) LXC container install on Ubuntu 20.04 without yum or rpm packages available, is to just create an LXC container that DOES still support yum and rpm (either a pre-20.04 Ubuntu such as 19.04, or some Red-Hat family LXC container), then create the template-based container you want NESTED inside the “build environment LXC container” and then just move the whole container you just built inside back “outside” to the host OS and then if necessary possibly run lxc-update-config on the config in case you had to use an earlier lxc in that nested setup, and that’s it.

Idk if there’s an easier way, but that method is pretty easy. You just create the container nested into the other container that supports yum and rpm, and then once it’s built, move it out to the lxc host. It works and it’s easy … unless you have a better suggestion ?

Or you could just embrace image-based LXC creation for everything and stop being stuck in your old ways and just get with the image-based “program” but the thing is for the Oracle Linux templates, there is only one image for each major release in the default image library, and it is handy to be able to use the (-t oracle) method to build point release of Oracle Linux right off such as 7.3, 7.5 etc. which one can readily do with the (-t oracle) option.

idk - go with the flow - or find creative solutions so that you can keep being “you” - idk … and of course one could just build images as needed. Anyway …