Lxd 3.21: VM EFI boot error

Hi,

Unrelated to the rest of my ceph issues I’ve been trying to deploy debian9 in an LXD VM for pushing to the primary cluster:

I am booting debian9 as such:
mar@madelinews:~$ lxc config device add debian9 iso disk source=/isos/debian-9.12.0-
amd64-netinst.iso
mar@madelinews:~$ lxc start debian9 && lxc console debian9

After startup.nsh runs, this happens (the ISO does not contain a grubx64.efi, but that’s unrelated as this works with stock ubuntu tianocore/ovmf stuff in qemu)

Shell> \efi\boot\grubx64.efi
'\efi\boot\grubx64.efi' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable 
program, or script file.
[end startup.nsh]
Shell> fs0:
FS0:\> \efi\boot\bootx64.efi
Command Error Status: Access Denied
FS0:\>

I have never before seen an EFI shell tell me “Access Denied” when trying to run an executable.

The same ISO works with OVMF on ubuntu 18.04 with unmodifed QEMU.

That’s normal behavior for secure boot if you’re executing an untrusted binary.

Set security.secureboot=false to disable this behavior or if available, install shim-signed so that it is bootable with secureboot enabled.

Okay. That’s sorted the boot problem, the new problem is related to the debian installer not detecting any cd-rom or hdd.

What bus is the cd stuff on by default? VirtIO SCSI?

Yeah, everything is on virtio-scsi.

We should have Debian builds through distrobuilder pretty soon, I think @monstermunchkin had them mostly working.

An alternative if you want to temporarily use an alternative driver is to pass options directly to qemu through raw.qemu.