LXD cluster upgrade procedure

Hello together!

First off, thanks a lot for the excellent job around LXC/LXD! I really appreciate it! :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a small and quite deprecated LXD cluster setup here with 3 nodes, container and kvm guests. The operating system is Gentoo Linux. The LXD storage back end is btrfs and the current running version is lxd-4.0.9.
An operating system upgrade enforces an upgrade to (currently) lxd-5.0.1. Because it seems like a LXD major release upgrade, I tried to figure out all important steps before, but unfortunately I couldn’t find any helpful explanations for this task.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
It is also possible that I should just go to the eye doctor. :laughing:

Thanks a lot,
René

If your OS is providing the upgraded packages, then it should just be a case of updating the 3 nodes and then restarting LXD. They will apply DB schema and patches to bring up to LXD 5.0.1 on first start.

Note: the cluster won’t function properly until all members are running the same version.

See How to manage a cluster - LXD documentation

But you may want to make backups of your instances first in case something goes wrong and you need to re-create the cluster later, for this you can use lxc export <instance> <filename>