LXD on raspbian

Hello,

Is it possible to install LXD, without using snap, on raspbian os 64bits or 32bits? I am saying without using snap, because I tried, and failed, since snap version on raspbian does not meet the minimum version required to install lxd over snap. So I think I need to build it from source.

If so how do I start?

Any pointers in the right direction are greatly appreciated.

What error do you get when installing lxd snap on raspbian, and what version of raspbian are you running?

If that’s not the case, you can use the Armbian version for the Raspberry Pi even you can use the lxd package instead of snap.
Regards.

I am on the raspbian os 32 bits, apt updated and upgraded, currently.

pi@rosrider32:~ $ sudo snap install lxd
error: cannot perform the following tasks:

• Mount snap “lxd” (17937) (snap “lxd” assumes unsupported features: snapd2.39 (try to update snapd and refresh the core snap))

pi@rosrider32:~ $ snap --version
snap 2.37.4-1+rpi1
snapd 2.37.4-1+rpi1
series 16
raspbian 10
kernel 5.4.51-v7l+

@cemzafer armbian seems to support everything, but the RPI4???

Try snap install core

1 Like

I had to:

sudo snap install core
sudo snap install lxd

and now I have lxd under raspbian working.

2 Likes

Glad to hear its worked. This has come up in the past before, @stgraber do you know why snap install lxd doesn’t depend on core (like it does core18)?

LXD requires a recent version of snapd, that version isn’t available on some Debian releases. However snapd on Debian is configured to auto-reexec using the snapd inside the core snap.

That’s why you’ll get an error if you try to install lxd but once you install the core snap, your snapd version now gets much more recent, allowing the install to succeed.

There’s not much we can do there because there’s no real concept of dependency, all we can require is a minimum version of snapd. Newer snapd much better handles this situation, older snapd is unfortunately stuck the way it is.

1 Like