Man page improvement - lxc.start.order

Having looked into Linux Containers - LXC - Manpages - lxc.container.conf.5

lxc.start.order
An integer used to sort the containers when auto-starting a series of containers at once.

AUTOSTART AND SYSTEM BOOT
... The startup will be in order of lxc.start.order.

The leaves one to guesswork of how the integer is interpreted, e.g. whether 0 is lowest or highest priority or even whether 0 might be a special value (like perhaps disabling)

It thus requires a (potential) user to sour other sources (e.g. LXC 1.0: Your second container [2/10] | Stéphane Graber's website) to discover

priority of the container, higher value means starts earlier

I suppose such should be rather pointed out in the man pages.

I would have guessed that lower number starts earlier.
Are you familiar with git, GitHub, in order to create a pull request with a clarification?

My sentiments exactly, my logic would also have been that 0 is either the highest priority, or if representing a special value such as disable for instance than 1 being the highest priority and incrementing integer’s value is decreasing the priority but apparently it is the other way around.

Not sure if it warrants a clarification on Github really but rather a more expansive explanation at the man page. Have updated the previous post with the source of the information, being a blog of @stgraber.

Unless this changed over time from lxc 1, which the blog post from 2013 is based on, to today’s lxc 3 version

I am on mobile now. As far as I understand, the man pages are on the lxc git repository on GitHub. It should be GitHub.com/lxc/lxc
You can edit the manpage and submit a pull request to accept the change.

Seems not located there. All I could trace https://github.com/lxc/linuxcontainers.org/tree/master/manpages/lxc but there are only placeholders for some languages.

It’s here,

The man pages are created from SGML, which should not be difficult to edit.

1 Like

Thank you for the pointer! Prior editing though it would be good to know whether an interger of 0 serves a special purpose or is just the lowest priority.

Searching through the source code, shows only the following occurence:

Therefore, the number there is only used to compare between containers. 0 has no special significance.

1 Like