MergerFs and Fuse

First I want to thank the developers for supporting such a great tool. I have a standard LXD setup installed on Ubuntu 22.04 via Snap. I specifically went with Ubuntu becasue I wanted to get kernel support for Shift when mapping a folder (disk) into a lxc container. This has worked perfectly with Brtfs file system on my host.

Now, the issue is when I installed mergerfs and fuse on the host. The host has the merged file system under /mnt/storage and when I share this folder with Lxc, I get the dreaded idmapping error when I try to use the Shift = True key. The folder without the key will map, but not even root in the container can access any of the files.

The simple solution appears to be to set the container security to privileged mode which allows the Shift = true to be set. Is this the best solution? I did not want to run the container in privilege mode, but for my use case probably not that big of deal.

It seems like the /dev/fuse is already in the container so I am not sure that is the issue. I assume the problem is either related to mergerfs or fuse.

I would appreciate any options here. By the way, I installed the latest version of mergerfs 2.35.1 and fuse is version 2.9.9-5unbuntu3.

Thanks

Hi @Stillman

I get the dreaded idmapping error when I try to use the Shift = True key.

Couldn’t you show this error?