Migrate containers from an old zfs pool to a new btrfs pool

Hi all!

I have been trying to move all my containers from their original, default zfs storage pool to a new pool using the btrfs driver. The main reason is that I have real performance issues with docker and zfs, a case already well documented by others.

Containers all moved without issue; however, I can’t delete the original zfs pool (pool1).

This is the error I get:

> $  lxc storage delete pool1                                                                                                                                                                                                             
Error: The storage pool is currently in use.

Things I have done:

1. Move containers to the second pool (pool2)

lxc move mycontainer --instance-only --storage pool2

I have 2 weeks of daily snapshots per container and --instance-only proved itself necessary as LXD will not copy zfs snapshots as btrfs snapshots on pool2. Without this argument, the new pool fills-up fast!

2. Change the default storage pool to pool2

lxc profile device remove default root
lxc profile device add default root disk path=/ pool=pool2

It seems it worked:

> $ lxc profile device show default                                                                                                                                                                                                          
eth0:
  name: eth0
  nictype: bridged
  parent: lxdbr0
  type: nic
root:
  path: /
  pool: pool2
  type: disk

Now I see there’s a lot of residue in pool1, but I do not know how to delete it?

None of the snapshots below shows under lxd info mycontainer.
There’s also a lot of snapshots listed that are for containers that have long been deleted.
Last, I am surprised to see that the profiles are tied to my old storage pool (pool1). How do I move those over to pool2?

Should I just zfs delete those zfs datasets and snapshots?

Residue:

> $ lxc storage show pool1                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
config:
  source: pool1
  volatile.initial_source: /dev/mapper/datasetpool1
  zfs.pool_name: pool1
description: ""
name: pool1
driver: zfs
used_by:
- /1.0/instances/bazarr/snapshots/r.a.s
- /1.0/instances/books/snapshots/calibre-web_clean1
- /1.0/instances/ddns/snapshots/ok
- /1.0/instances/emby2/snapshots/before-snapshot
- /1.0/instances/freshrss/snapshots/working
- /1.0/instances/grav1/snapshots/before-skeleton
- /1.0/instances/grav1/snapshots/before-skeleton2
- /1.0/instances/grav1/snapshots/skeleton-ok1
- /1.0/instances/nginx-reverse/snapshots/http-ok
- /1.0/instances/nginx-reverse/snapshots/http-ok-2
- /1.0/instances/nginx-reverse/snapshots/http-ok-3
- /1.0/instances/nginx-reverse/snapshots/ssl-embi-ombi
- /1.0/instances/nginx-reverse/snapshots/work-in-progress
- /1.0/instances/nginx-reverse/snapshots/working
- /1.0/instances/nginx-reverse/snapshots/working-grav1
- /1.0/instances/nginx-reverse/snapshots/working2
[...]
- /1.0/profiles/default-highres
- /1.0/profiles/default-lowres
- /1.0/profiles/default-lowres-docker
- /1.0/profiles/default-midres-docker
- /1.0/storage-pools/pool1/volumes/image/028d045b1cfcfc8a69cc68674557bd86e015c0ba4bb5c3d6851043f785963728
- /1.0/storage-pools/pool1/volumes/image/412fb387e01d8130016d300bbc33fbaee84c1b17ddfb7cb9f85ae63e0c4fa618
- /1.0/storage-pools/pool1/volumes/image/d6f281a2e523674bcd9822f3f61be337c51828fb0dc94c8a200ab216d12a0fff
locations:
- none

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

EDIT:
I figured out the part about the profiles; I just had to make sure the default storage was changed for each profile.