I would like to hear your opinion and tips about migrating and enhancing my setup (described below) to the new virtual machine feature. I read other threads, but got no answers
I operate 2 servers.
“One” is a dedicated (and my main) server hosted at Hetzner and on this one I use KVM to separate a virtual firewall (pfsense), an “internal” httpd server, a mail / groupware server (Centos) and my storage vm (with ~ 2TB data).
“Two” is a VPS on which I use lxd containers to separate various websites from each other and I do data backups here. This is mostly for security reasons, because websites get hacked often.
At the moment I think about implementing a high availability setup, mainly for the mailserver.
For this I would order another machine with the same specs as “One”.
I need pacemaker, corosync and drbd/gluster to create a HA cluster which is quite “heavy” stuff to work with.
And then it came to my mind that there is a new lxd virtual machine feature and I have some questions:
- is it possible to create a HA cluster with LXD?
- what pitfalls do I need to keep in mind?
- Can I use pfsense as my firewall and openvpn entry point?
- How would you operate a “network RAID”?
- At Hetzner you can order an additional public IP which is bound to a MAC address. Can I move a vm around with a fixed MAC?
- For network “security” I want to use multiple networks. Do I need this?
I know these are quite a lot questions, but any thoughts are appreciated.