Mounting ZVOL securely in container

I am struggling to mount a ZVOL securely but r/w in a container. I tried device unix-block, disk with not luck.

I created a zvol: zfs create -s -V 200GB pool1/lxd-zvol/backup

Next I tried adding it directly (using unix-block) with no luck running fdisk from guest:

lxc config device add backup data unix-block path=/data source=/dev/zd16

Next I created a partition from the host and did:

lxc config device add backup data unix-block path=/data source=/dev/zd16p1
and also
lxc config device add backup data unix-block path=/dev/zd16p1

Both seem to have similar weird behavior and I cannot read the partition content from guest.

So I tried:
lxc config device add backup data disk path=/data source=/dev/zd16p1

I can then read partition content from /data but not write to it. I am pretty much stuck.

I just want a ZVOL mounted in a container as ext4 with userquota support enabled at mount time.

(Stéphane Graber) #2

So the normal way to do this goes along the lines of:

• zfs create -s -V 200GB pool1/lxd-zvol/backup
  • mkfs.ext4 /dev/zd16
  • mount /dev/zd16 /mnt
  • chown 1000000:1000000 /mnt
  • umount /mnt
  • lxc config device add backup data disk path=/data source=/dev/zd16

The chown step is necessary to have the filesystem be owned by root inside the container (you may have to change the uid/gid to match that of the container), at that point the container should perfectly happily write to it.

It works thanks. Uid is 10000 as shown by lxc config show backup (“Hostid”:100000). Other containers also have the same Hostid, is it secured? I mean can other containers access that ZVOL in anyway ?

And also what is the proper way to set the mount options to add usrjquota=aquota.user,jqfmt=vfsv1 ?

@stgraber after hours and hours of searching I still cannot figure out how to set mount option for the secondary drive. Is it even possible ? LXC can do it, but can LXD ?

Follow up