Nested idmapped mounts

Hi,
I am trying to create a container with nested idmapped mounts.
For example consider the following paths on the host:

uid gid   path
drwxr-xr-x 1000 1000 /pathA
drwxr-xr-x 1000 1000 /pathA/mypathB
-rw-r--r-- 1000 1000 /pathA/fileA
drwxr-xr-x 1000 1000 /pathB
-rw-r--r-- 1000 1000 /pathB/fileB

Now I’m trying to do the following mounts in the container (/pathA already exists in the rootfs):

lxc.rootfs.options = ro idmap=container
lxc.mount.entry = /pathA pathA         none bind,ro,idmap=container 0 0 
lxc.mount.entry = /pathB pathA/mypathB none bind,ro,idmap=container 0 0

The idmap looks like this:

lxc.init.uid = 1000
lxc.init.gid = 1000
lxc.idmap = u 0 100000   65535
lxc.idmap = g 0 100000   65535

I do get following error:

lxc-start: test: conf.c: __lxc_idmapped_mounts_child: 3037 Invalid cross-device link - Failed to open target mountpoint 19/pathA/mypathB for detached idmapped mount 22:19/pathB
lxc-start: test: conf.c: lxc_idmapped_mounts_child: 3083 Invalid cross-device link - Failed to setup idmapped mount entries
lxc-start: test: conf.c: lxc_setup: 4364 Invalid cross-device link - Failed to attached detached idmapped mounts

If I do only the first mount, then /pathA is correctly mounted.
If I remove the idmap=container option from the lxc.mount.entry settings, then the container starts and both paths are mounted, however the ids are set to nobody.
If I remove the option only on the second entry, then the container fails with the following error:

lxc-start: test: conf.c: mount_entry: 2397 No such file or directory - Failed to mount “/pathB” on “/usr/lib/lxc/rootfs/pathA/mypathB”

Is this a limitation of idmapped mounts or is there a way to make this work?
System: Archlinux
LXC-Version: 1:4.0.11-2

@brauner, do you have a quick estimation, if this will ever be possible?
Else, I’m gonna arrange the directory structure without nested mounts.

I always envisioned for this to be possible, yes. The way I thought about it, is that you create a new detached non-idmapped mount from an already idmapped mount and then idmapping this detached mount. However, I haven’t spelled-out all the details yet. So I would say don’t rely on it for now!

Thank you, for your answer and your work.