Nested LXD with Debian Bullseye

I run successfully nested LXD with ubuntu:21.04 and ubuntu:20.04 just by running them with -c security.nesting=true -c security.privileged=true.

Is it possible to run nested LXD inside a Debian Bullseye container?

I tried to install it like this:

lxc launch images:debian/11 -c security.nesting=true -c security.privileged=true

apt-get update && apt-get install --yes libsquashfuse0 squashfuse fuse snapd
snap install lxd

But this fails to install LXD

Aug 20 12:04:14 warm-killdeer systemd[1]: Unmounting Mount unit for lxd, revision 21260...
β–‘β–‘ Subject: A stop job for unit snap-lxd-21260.mount has begun execution
β–‘β–‘ Defined-By: systemd
β–‘β–‘ Support: https://www.debian.org/support
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ A stop job for unit snap-lxd-21260.mount has begun execution.
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ The job identifier is 623.
Aug 20 12:04:14 warm-killdeer umount[7461]: umount: /snap/lxd/21260: not mounted.
Aug 20 12:04:14 warm-killdeer systemd[1]: snap-lxd-21260.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited, status=32/n/a
β–‘β–‘ Subject: Unit process exited
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ An n/a= process belonging to unit snap-lxd-21260.mount has exited.
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ The process' exit code is 'exited' and its exit status is 32.
Aug 20 12:04:14 warm-killdeer systemd[1]: Failed unmounting Mount unit for lxd, revision 21260.
β–‘β–‘ Subject: A stop job for unit snap-lxd-21260.mount has finished
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ A stop job for unit snap-lxd-21260.mount has finished.
β–‘β–‘ 
β–‘β–‘ The job identifier is 623 and the job result is failed.
Aug 20 12:04:14 warm-killdeer systemd[1]: snapd.service: Got notification message from PID 7460, but reception only permitted for main PID 6337
Aug 20 12:04:14 warm-killdeer snapd[6337]: taskrunner.go:271: [change 6 "Mount snap \"lxd\" (21260)" task] failed: [stop snap-lxd-21260.mount] failed with exit status 1: Job failed. See "journalctl -xe" for details.
Aug 20 12:04:14 warm-killdeer systemd[1]: Cannot find unit for notify message of PID 7463, ignoring.
Aug 20 12:04:38 warm-killdeer snapd[6337]: handlers.go:511: Reported install problem for "lxd" as c4bb44b6-01ae-11ec-a3c3-fa163e102db1 OOPSID

Yeah, this is quite confusing… I poked at it for a bit but didn’t find an obvious solution.

So far what I’ve noticed:

• Debian 11 forces the use of cgroup2 in systemd. This causes the container to only get access to the bare minimal cgroup setup, no controllers are available which will most likely confused snapd (that relies on the freezer cgroup). This can be worked around with raw.lxc="lxc.init.cmd=/sbin/init systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0"
  • For some reason, the mount ordering is incorrect. Snapd is supposed to setup a snap.mount entry which causes /snap to be mounted over itself and then be marked as MS_SHARED|MS_REC. This does happen, but AFTER some of the snaps were already mounted. This over-mounting masks some of the entries and causes the mount errors you’re reporting.
  • Even when those two behave, the snap appears unable to access /run/snapd-snap.socket, getting permission denied. I couldn’t find any apparmor rejection which would explain that one. It could be another mount issue where the snap is somehow getting a different view of /run, or it could be an issue with apparmor inside of the Debian container not generating a profile which properly allows it to work.

I kinda ran out of time to investigate it at this point. It’d be interesting to see if an older Debian release hits the same issue as well as maybe trying the Ubuntu development release to see if that also starts hitting problems, this may help pin point the rest of the issues.

I had some time to test older Debian releases namely 9 (stretch) and 10 (buster) with and without
raw.lxc="lxc.init.cmd=/sbin/init systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0".

Both fail similar and are unable to snap install lxd.

Debian 9:

root@beloved-buffalo:~# snap install lxd
error: cannot perform the following tasks:
- Mount snap "core" (11606) ([start snap-core-11606.mount] failed with exit status 1: Job for snap-core-11606.mount failed.
See "systemctl status snap-core-11606.mount" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
)
root@beloved-buffalo:~# snap install lxd
- Mount snap "core" (11606) ([start snap-core-11606.mount] failed with exit status 1: Job for snap-core-11606.mount failed.
See "systemctl status snap-core-11606.mount" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
)

Debian 10:

root@live-crow:~# snap install lxd 
- Mount snap "lxd" (21390) (snap "lxd" assumes unsupported features: snapd2.39 (try to update snapd and refresh the core snap))
root@live-crow:~# snap install core
- Setup snap "core" (11606) security profiles (cannot setup udev for snap "core": cannot reload udev rules: exit status 1
udev output:
)
- Setup snap "core" (11606) security profiles (cannot reload udev rules: exit status 1
udev output:
)
root@live-crow:~# snap install lxd 
- Mount snap "lxd" (21390) (snap "lxd" assumes unsupported features: snapd2.39 (try to update snapd and refresh the core snap))

So my best guess is this never worked and is a general issue with snap inside a debian lxd container.

A workaround currently is to use --vm. Which allows the use of snap inside a Debian container or rather a virtual machine managed by LXD.

Hi @l33tname,

I’m doing the same as you, running a nested LXD with Bullseye (same as host).
Right now, it works fine.

Here are the relevant config details :

config:
  [...]
  raw.lxc: |
    lxc.apparmor.profile=unconfined
    lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = a
    lxc.mount.auto=proc:rw sys:rw
    lxc.cap.drop=
    lxc.init.cmd=/sbin/init systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=false systemd.legacy_systemd_cgroup_controller=false

ps: the last line is needed to force CGROUP1

Besides these settings, inside the priviledged container, I had to install a few packages before installing LXD, like so :

apt install -y libsquashfuse0 squashfuse fuse kmod snapd linux-headers-amd64
snap install core
snap install lxd

Hope it might help…

1 Like