Problem starting virtual machines

Cita Bug #1910696 “Qemu fails to start with error " There is no optio...” : Bugs : QEMU
I am running LXD 4.14 on a void system, got the following error, same error that I am citing

Error: Failed to run: forklimits limit=memlock:unlimited:unlimited – /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -S -name sid -uuid e4fdf7e7-d954-4365-ab84-559fd3763869 -daemonize -cpu host -nographic -serial chardev:console -nodefaults -no-reboot -no-user-config -sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=allow,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny -readconfig /var/log/lxd/sid/qemu.conf -spice unix=on,disable-ticketing=on,addr=/var/log/lxd/sid/qemu.spice -pidfile /var/log/lxd/sid/qemu.pid -D /var/log/lxd/sid/qemu.log -chroot /var/lib/lxd/virtual-machines/sid -smbios type=2,manufacturer=Canonical Ltd.,product=LXD -runas nobody: : Process exited with a non-zero value

Show lxc info sid --show-log. Also what version of qemu are you using?

LXD currently requires >= 4.0 and < 6.0, so if you’re running qemu 6.0, that’d be the problem.

1 Like

$ lxc info sid --show-log
Name: sid
Remote: unix://
Architecture: x86_64
Created: 2021/04/13 20:50 UTC
Type: virtual-machine
Profiles: vm

Versión qemu-6.0.0_2

Yep so version 6.0 of QEMU is most likely the problem.

That version of QEMU has several bugs that upstream are aware of and working on a fix for them. Once they are merged and backported to the 6.0 branch then the packager of your distro can update its version.

We are going to continue testing on QEMU 6.0 and raising issues as we find them. For users of the snap package it may be that we can manually backport some of the fixes too.

1 Like

I appreciate your answers and I have no alternative but to degrade qemu
Thank you

1 Like

The patches from upstream are being posted here:

Tracking QEMU 6.0 support here:

Does it still hold true guys? My virtual machines stopped working. I have noticed I have QEMU version 7.1.0, so I’m suspecting system update created problems. But interestingly I can spawn new virtual machines, only the old ones stopped working.

What lxd version?

It looks like you’ve double posted.
Let’s continue this discussion on VM won't start - empty console output instead.