Problems network configuration, Restart LXC?

Restart from scratch lxc (uninstall and reinstall lxc) or can you return to default configuration?

Regards!!! :grinning::beers:

You should be able to just undo any change you made to /etc/default/lxc-net and then restart the lxc-bridge service.

Would also help a bit if you could tell us more about what the problem is.

1 Like

Hello @stgraber thank you very much for your answer

Since I created my first container I have not had access to the internet.

I have used several configurations that I found online but I have not found the right one for my case

That’s why I decided to start from an installation of lxc as recently installed.

I was able to create a bridge to configure the containers but I could not configure it correctly to have connectivity with the internet

It is the first time that I use bridge for a configuration of virtualization in linux and I assume that it is my biggest problem at the moment

I have the doubt that a video that I found https://youtu.be/4TzMl6mkqWU?t=5m47s is shown after installing lxc starts a container, that container at once has no ip but then gives an ip and can be ping

What files should I show the content to see if my settings are correct? both in the lxc Debian 9 server and in the container

Regards!! :grinning::beers:

The following files would be useful:

• /etc/default/lxc
  • /etc/default/lxc-net (if it exists)
  • /etc/lxc/default.conf
  • /var/lib/lxc/CONTAINER-NAME/config
1 Like

/etc/default/lxc

# LXC_AUTO - whether or not to start containers at boot
LXC_AUTO="true"

# BOOTGROUPS - What groups should start on bootup?
#       Comma separated list of groups.
#       Leading comma, trailing comma or embedded double
#       comma indicates when the NULL group should be run.
# Example (default): boot the onboot group first then the NULL group
BOOTGROUPS="onboot,"

# SHUTDOWNDELAY - Wait time for a container to shut down.
#       Container shutdown can result in lengthy system
#       shutdown times.  Even 5 seconds per container can be
#       too long.
SHUTDOWNDELAY=5

# OPTIONS can be used for anything else.
#       If you want to boot everything then
#       options can be "-a" or "-a -A".
OPTIONS=

# STOPOPTS are stop options.  The can be used for anything else to stop.
#       If you want to kill containers fast, use -k
STOPOPTS="-a -A -s"

USE_LXC_BRIDGE="false"  # overridden in lxc-net

[ ! -f /etc/default/lxc-net ] || . /etc/default/lxc-net

/etc/default/lxc-net

USE_LXC_BRIDGE="true"
LXC_BRIDGE="bt0"
LXC_ADDR="192.168.3.10"
LXC_NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
LXC_NETWORK="192.168.3.0/24"
LXC_DHCP_RANGE="192.168.3.2,10.0.3.254"
LXC_DHCP_MAX="253"
LXC_DHCP_CONFILE=""
LXC_DOMAIN=""

/etc/lxc/default.conf

lxc.network.type = empty

/var/lib/lxc/d9lxc/config

# Template used to create this container: /usr/share/lxc/templates/lxc-debian
# Parameters passed to the template: -r stretch
# Template script checksum (SHA-1): 127e2020d76da79709d5e4e0c7e347f40a6a793b
# For additional config options, please look at lxc.container.conf(5)

# Uncomment the following line to support nesting containers:
#lxc.include = /usr/share/lxc/config/nesting.conf
# (Be aware this has security implications)

lxc.network.type = empty
lxc.rootfs = /var/lib/lxc/d9lxc/rootfs
lxc.rootfs.backend = dir

# Common configuration
lxc.include = /usr/share/lxc/config/debian.common.conf

# Container specific configuration
lxc.tty = 4
lxc.utsname = d9lxc
lxc.arch = amd64

Ok, so your /etc/lxc/default.conf is the issue, which cause the same problem to be replicated in your container’s config.

I suspect you want both /etc/lxc/default.conf and /var/lib/lxc/d9lxc/config changed, replacing:

lxc.network.type = empty

with:

lxc.network.type = veth
lxc.network.link = bt0
lxc.network.flags = up
lxc.network.hwaddr = 00:16:3e:xx:xx:xx

Which will have your existing container and any new ones get connected to your bt0 bridge rather than be provisioned with no network interfaces.

1 Like

I tried to start the container but it shows me the following:

~# lxc-start -n d9lxc
lxc-start: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 366 The container failed to start.
lxc-start: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 368 To get more details, run the container in foreground   mode.
lxc-start: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 370 Additional information can be obtained by setting the --logfile and --logpriority options.

~# lxc-start -n d9lxc -F                                                                                                              
lxc-start: conf.c: instantiate_veth: 2669 failed to attach 'vethRCGOWL' to the bridge 'bt0': Operation not permitted 
lxc-start: conf.c: lxc_create_network: 2962 failed to create netdev                                                                                                     
lxc-start: start.c: lxc_spawn: 1088 Failed to create the network.    lxc-start: start.c: __lxc_start: 1346 Failed to spawn container "d9lxc".  lxc-start: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 366 The container failed to start.   lxc-start: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 370 Additional information can be obtained by setting the --logfile and --logpriority options.

these are my network configurations on my lxc Debian 9 server:

/etc/network/interfaces

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo bt0
iface lo inet loopback

# Configurar interfaces manualmente, evitando conflictos con, por ejemplo, el administrador de red
iface bt0 inet manual

# Configuración del puente
iface bt0 inet static
    bridge_ports enp3s0
            address 192.168.0.200
            broadcast 192.168.0.255
            netmask 255.255.255.0
            gateway 192.168.0.90
            dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

~# ip address show
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1                                                      
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00                                                                                     
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo                                                                                                            
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever                                                                                                
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host                                                                                                                  
2: enp3s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000                                       
    link/ether 74:d4:35:5e:e0:7a brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff                                                                                        
    inet 192.168.0.223/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global dynamic enp3s0                                                                       
       valid_lft 5976sec preferred_lft 5976sec                                                                                                
    inet6 fe80::b7f7:2aa8:7eeb:1851/64 scope link                                                                                             
3: enp4s6: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN group default qlen 1000                                   
    link/ether 00:00:e8:f9:74:75 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

activating bridge (when activating the bridge I am left without internet connection on my lxc Debian 9 server):
~# ifup bt0

~# ip address show
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
2: enp3s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master bt0 state DOWN group default qlen 1000
3: enp4s6: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:00:e8:f9:74:75 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
61: bt0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    inet 192.168.0.200/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global bt0
    inet6 fe80::76d4:35ff:fe5e:e07a/64 scope link 

Turn off my Debian 9 server and the bridge works correctly in my container, also update my old containers in your conf file with the new bridge data (bt0) and correctly assign me ip

If I have any problem related to this topic I will continue posting here

Regards!! :grinning::beers: