Running integration tests

Hi folks

we’re trying to work on a feature in LXD and as a first step have attempted to replicate a continuous test environment.

However, when it comes to unit tests, we had to run them in single-process mode: https://github.com/lxc/lxd/issues/4328 and integration tests are failing us in two different ways as well:

when running them by hand, remote_usage fails:

EROR[03-13|20:46:14] Failed to retrieve PID of executing child process: EOF 

when running them in gitlab-ci, basic_usage fails:

Starting c1
action=start created=2018-03-13T20:33:45+0000 ephemeral=false lvl=eror msg="Failed starting container" name=c1 stateful=false t=2018-03-13T20:33:45+0000 used=1970-01-01T00:00:00+0000
error: Failed to run: /root/go/bin/lxd forkstart c1 /root/go/src/github.com/lxc/lxd/test/tmp.8PP/hQd/containers /root/go/src/github.com/lxc/lxd/test/tmp.8PP/hQd/logs/c1/lxc.conf: 
Try `lxc info --show-log lxd2:c1` for more info
==> Cleaning up

any ideas how to get this sorted out?

The start error is usually because liblxc can’t traverse to the container’s path.
You could try this to fix it:

chmod +x /root /root/go

Assuming you have the source code under /root/go/src and don’t have a weird umask, this should fix the isssue.

what’s really interesting here is that the GOPATH seems to be /root/go, despite our setting of /srv/go in /etc/environment

perhaps we should set it explicitly in our .gitlab-ci.yml

after fixing the GOPATH to /srv/go in .gitlab-ci, there’s still something struggling against it in the tests…
so we’re now passing it to make GOPATH=$GOPATH check as well…

if this fails, we should probably revert to simply doing chmod +x /root /root/go (in the morning)

okay, this is still happening, despite the GOPATH being in /root/go and the permissions being correctly set:

root@gitlab-ci-shell-runner-root:~# namei -om /root/go/src/github.com/lxc/lxd/test/
f: /root/go/src/github.com/lxc/lxd/test/
 drwxr-xr-x root root /
 drwxr-xr-x root root root
 drwxr-xr-x root root go
 drwxr-xr-x root root src
 drwxr-xr-x root root github.com
 drwxr-xr-x root root lxc
 drwxr-xr-x root root lxd
 drwxr-xr-x root root test
root@gitlab-ci-shell-runner-root:~# 

we’re still getting,

Creating last-used-at-test

1970-01-01T00:00:00Z
2018-03-14T09:57:20Z
/root
BEST_BAND=meshuggah
167: eth0@if168: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP,M-DOWN> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue qlen 1000
lvl=eror msg="Failed to retrieve PID of executing child process: EOF" t=2018-03-14T09:57:21+0000
abc
abc
foo
Creating deleterunning

Starting deleterunning
{"error":"container is running","error_code":400,"type":"error"}
Creating lxd-apparmor-test

Starting lxd-apparmor-test
==> Cleaning up
==> Killing LXD at /root/go/src/github.com/lxc/lxd/test/tmp.M3m/3tj
==> Deleting all containers
==> Deleting all images
==> Deleting all networks
==> Deleting all profiles
Profile default deleted
==> Deleting all storage pools
Storage pool lxdtest-3tj deleted
==> Checking for locked DB tables
==> Checking for leftover files
==> Checking for leftover cluster DB entries
==> Tearing down directory backend in /root/go/src/github.com/lxc/lxd/test/tmp.M3m/3tj

==> TEST DONE: basic usage
==> Test result: failure

That looks different though, this is failing at the lxd-apparmor-test now which suggests some apparmor confinement test is failing on your system.

What kernel are you using and what distro is it?

indeed! my reading was wrong here.

I’ve now modified the cleanup() function to simply exit 1 so i can post full logs

we’re running Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS with kernel 4.4.0-116-generic.
here’s a gist of the lxd.log

You could run the testsuite with LXD_VERBOSE=1 set in the environment, it’d show you exactly what part of the apparmor test is failing.

Are you running the testsuite inside a container? If so, that’d explain the failure and also why you’re likely to run into a bunch more problems. The LXD testsuite is meant to run as root on a host, not inside a container.

1 Like

OKAY!

problem solved

i’ve now compiled our lxc with libapparmor-dev libseccomp-dev libcap-dev installed, and now the integration tests are actually passing.

Haha, yeah, that’d explain it I guess :slight_smile:

1 Like

no containers are involved (yet … and then it’ll be lxd running them, not lxd running inside of them)

and running make check with LXD_VERBOSE=1 might be… a good tip… for later!

@igalic I don’t suppose that helped with that clustering/raft issue? :slight_smile:

I’m still confused by that one as I can’t seem to reproduce it here.

you mean the TestHeartbeat failing unless ran with GOMAXPROCS=1
i can test that again for you and will report back (on the github issue, if it’s related to this!)

@stgraber your hunch was right! I’m gonna close the bug… after submitting a PR to the docs :wink: