SR-IOV - Running into a little issue.. :-)

Hello, thanks to the whole incus team for their great work !!
I’ve been recently moving some workload from VMWare… it works marvelous !

Tho, i’ve been recycling a few hardware in the process, and ran into a little problem : i can’t get SR-IOV networks to work properly on an old NC552SFP based on Emulex BladeEngine2.

Thus SRIOV is working properly, all VF gets activated when i boot a container connected to the SR-IOV network (named SRIOV1) sadly, container won’t boot with an error :

Error: Failed to start device "eth1": Failed clearing MAC for VF "0": Failed to run: ip link set dev enp5s0f0 vf 0 mac 00:00:00:00:00:00: exit status 2 (RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument)

Ran incus info --show-log test-ct

Nom : test-ct
État : STOPPED
Type: container
Architecture : x86_64
Créé : 2024/05/30 19:54 UTC
Last Used: 1970/01/01 00:00 UTC

Journal :

Debugged a bit, and found that be2net kernel module doesn’t like “00:00:00:00:00:00” as incus tries to “reset” Mac Address :slight_smile:

# ip link set enp5s0f0 vf 0 mac 00:00:00:00:00:00
RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

but, interestingly,

ip link set enp5s0f0 vf 0 mac 00:00:00:00:00:01

don’t return an error :slight_smile:

I can set mac address in host profile, it’s not a big deal, but i thought i could use “auto-generated” mac address, with which i’m fine, as i can use it as a filter to limit some loud talking hosts… :slight_smile: (have record of HW macs, and can easily guess virtual ones…)

Had not time to check where is this logic implemented in code, i’ll pay a look by tomorrow, but i’d like to know if it’s a normal and wanted behavior, to reset mac to 00:00:00:00:00:00 if none is provided in conf ?

Thanks for any help provided :slight_smile:

The comment said we’d ignore the failure as some NICs fail to set the empty MAC, but then for some reason we did have a check for the error…

I suspect that may have happened when we redid our ip link handling stuff and we basically copy/pasted the error check at that point.

Thanks a lot for clarifying :slight_smile:

I’ll update to latest night build and give it a try :slight_smile:

Have a nice day, and an even nicer week-end :slight_smile: