Trouble rebooting VMs at the OS layer after upgrading to Incus 7.0?

Hello everyone,

I am running Incus 7.0-debian13-202605061505 using the Zabbly package on Debian Trixie. Since upgrading, it seems that about half the time when I issue sudo reboot or something similar from my VMs, they are stopped instead of rebooted and I have to run incus start ${vm} manually.

The VMs are running my own custom image of Fedora 43 and do not have the incus agent running.

I don’t remember this being a problem before the 7.0 upgrade-but that could be a coincidence as well. If anyone has suggestions on how best to troubleshoot, please let me know. I don’t mind installing the incus agent if y’all think it will help matters.

We had some fixes around that logic in Incus 7.0 so it’s certainly possible that we’ve regressed something. Can you file a bug at Sign in to GitHub · GitHub?

Thanks, I’m working on a reproducer now and will file a bug report when I have better info.

I think we’re seeing the same bug, and it happens every few weeks at most here. It feels like a race condition, because I can’t reproduce it easily. First time this happend was June 22nd (Incus 7.1.0) and last time this happend was yesterday (Incus 7.5.1).

I haven’t found any bug report, so I guess I’ll file one based on these details.

@hexa Good luck! I could never find a reproducer. It still happens, but not as often. My Incus environment is severely overprovisioned, so I figured it was related to high resource consumption on the host at the time of the reboot. Sorry I don’t have any better info for you.

I wonder which boot device is being used and which boot priority it has.

Please share a link to the filed bug report.