Trying LXD virtual machines

Introduction

LXD 3.19 will ship with virtual machine support.
This effectively lets you mix and match containers and virtual machines on the same system based on the workloads you want to run. Those virtual machines use the same profiles, networks and storage pools as the containers.

The VMs are run through qemu using separate VM images. To attempt to get feature parity with LXD containers, an agent is available which when run in the VM makes it possible to use lxc exec, lxc file, … the same way you would with a container.

Trying it

As of earlier today, the LXD edge snap contains everything needed to try the virtual machine feature.

To install it, run snap install lxd --edge on a system which supports virtualization extensions.
Right now, only the dir storage backend works with VMs, so you should configure LXD to use that.

The only images currently available for this are ubuntu:18.04 and ubuntu:19.10.

Here is it being installed and configured, running a container and a VM:

root@lantea:~# snap install lxd --edge && lxd.migrate -yes
2019-11-19T20:35:09Z INFO Waiting for restart...
lxd (edge) git-2b837b6 from Canonical✓ installed
=> Connecting to source server
=> Connecting to destination server
=> Running sanity checks
The source server is empty, no migration needed.

The migration is now complete and your containers should be back online.

All done. You may need to close your current shell and open a new one to have the "lxc" command work.
To migrate your existing client configuration, move ~/.config/lxc to ~/snap/lxd/current/.config/lxc

root@lantea:~# lxd init
Would you like to use LXD clustering? (yes/no) [default=no]: 
Do you want to configure a new storage pool? (yes/no) [default=yes]: 
Name of the new storage pool [default=default]: 
Name of the storage backend to use (btrfs, ceph, dir, lvm, zfs) [default=zfs]: dir
Would you like to connect to a MAAS server? (yes/no) [default=no]: 
Would you like to create a new local network bridge? (yes/no) [default=yes]: 
What should the new bridge be called? [default=lxdbr0]: 
What IPv4 address should be used? (CIDR subnet notation, “auto” or “none”) [default=auto]: 
What IPv6 address should be used? (CIDR subnet notation, “auto” or “none”) [default=auto]: 
Would you like LXD to be available over the network? (yes/no) [default=no]: 
Would you like stale cached images to be updated automatically? (yes/no) [default=yes] 
Would you like a YAML "lxd init" preseed to be printed? (yes/no) [default=no]: 

root@lantea:~# lxc profile edit default
root@lantea:~# lxc profile show default
config:
  user.vendor-data: |
    #cloud-config
    apt_mirror: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
    ssh_pwauth: yes
    users:
      - name: ubuntu
        passwd: "$6$s.wXDkoGmU5md$d.vxMQSvtcs1I7wUG4SLgUhmarY7BR.5lusJq1D9U9EnHK2LJx18x90ipsg0g3Jcomfp0EoGAZYfgvT22qGFl/"
        lock_passwd: false
        groups: lxd
        shell: /bin/bash
        sudo: ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL
description: Default LXD profile
devices:
  eth0:
    name: eth0
    nictype: bridged
    parent: lxdbr0
    type: nic
  root:
    path: /
    pool: default
    type: disk
name: default
used_by: []
root@lantea:~# lxc launch ubuntu:18.04 c1
Creating c1
Starting c1                               

root@lantea:~# lxc init ubuntu:18.04 v1 --vm
Creating v1
root@lantea:~# lxc config device add v1 config disk source=cloud-init:config
Device config added to v1
root@lantea:~# lxc start v1

root@lantea:~# lxc console v1
To detach from the console, press: <ctrl>+a q

v1 login: ubuntu
Password: 
Welcome to Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.15.0-70-generic x86_64)

* Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com
 * Management:     https://landscape.canonical.com
 * Support:        https://ubuntu.com/advantage

System information as of Tue Nov 19 21:53:52 UTC 2019

System load:  0.24              Processes:             110
  Usage of /:   10.8% of 8.86GB   Users logged in:       0
  Memory usage: 12%               IP address for enp5s0: 10.86.33.201
  Swap usage:   0%

0 packages can be updated.
0 updates are security updates.

The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by
applicable law.

ubuntu@v1:~$ sudo -i
root@v1:~# mount -t 9p config /mnt/
root@v1:~# cd /mnt/
root@v1:/mnt# ./install.sh 
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/lxd-agent.service → /lib/systemd/system/lxd-agent.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/lxd-agent-9p.service → /lib/systemd/system/lxd-agent-9p.service.

LXD agent has been installed, reboot to confirm setup.
To start it now, unmount this filesystem and run: systemctl start lxd-agent-9p lxd-agent
root@v1:/mnt#

root@lantea:~# lxc restart v1
root@lantea:~# lxc list
+------+---------+-----------------------+-------------------------------------------------+-----------------+-----------+
| NAME |  STATE  |         IPV4          |                      IPV6                       |      TYPE       | SNAPSHOTS |
+------+---------+-----------------------+-------------------------------------------------+-----------------+-----------+
| c1   | RUNNING | 10.86.33.59 (eth0)    | fd42:6f9e:d112:ebe1:216:3eff:fefc:8d5b (eth0)   | CONTAINER       | 0         |
| v1   | RUNNING | 10.86.33.201 (enp5s0) | fd42:6f9e:d112:ebe1:216:3eff:fea4:d961 (enp5s0) | VIRTUAL-MACHINE | 0         |

root@lantea:~# lxc exec v1 bash
root@v1:~# ls /
bin   home            lib64       opt   sbin  tmp      vmlinuz.old
boot  initrd.img      lost+found  proc  snap  usr
dev   initrd.img.old  media       root  srv   var
etc   lib             mnt         run   sys   vmlinuz
root@v1:~# exit
root@lantea:~# 

A few useful notes:

• The password for the ubuntu user is set through user.vendor-data to ubuntu
  • Leaving lxc console is done with ctrl+a q
  • The agent needs to be manually installed right now using a script available in the 9p config drive. Once installed, restart the virtual machine and once fully booted, all additional features will be available
  • You can create an empty VM and have it do UEFI netboot by using lxc init v2 --empty --vm
  • The firmware is UEFI with secureboot enabled, all devices use virtio.

Limitations

There are currently so many limitations to this that listing them all would be futile.
We are actively working on the storage side of things now, making it a release blocker for 3.19.

There are a number of easy issues we’re also working on in parallel to improve the agent integration and speed things up a bit.

We are also working on distrobuilder support for VM image building, once done, we’ll slowly start publishing images for all the Linux distributions we currently support as containers.

Documentation is another blocker for 3.19, we need to update a whole lot of it to reflect the fact that both containers and virtual machines are supported and that not all configuration options apply to both.

Right now, this only works on x86_64, additional architectures will be added soon, starting with aarch64.

3 Likes

I was just trying this,
While running,
sudo lxc start v1

I am getting error like,

Error: Failed to run: qemu-system-x86_64 -name v1 -uuid 1a088a0f-eba6-4323-98ae-14ad05adc014 -daemonize -cpu host -nographic -serial chardev:console -nodefaults -readconfig /var/snap/lxd/common/lxd/logs/v1/qemu.conf -pidfile /var/snap/lxd/common/lxd/logs/v1/qemu.pid: Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
qemu-system-x86_64: failed to initialize KVM: No such file or directory
Try lxc info --show-log v1 for more info

Output of lxc info --show-log v1,

Name: v1
Remote: unix://
Architecture: x86_64
Created: 2019/11/20 06:04 UTC
Type: virtual-machine
Profiles: default
Error: open /var/snap/lxd/common/lxd/logs/v1/lxc.log: no such file or directory

Love the work being done on this. Is there a plan to ever add support for booting an LXD vm from an ISO? Just wondering what the plan is (if there is one) for running non-Linux OSes under LXD.

Error sounds like you’re missing /dev/kvm on your system.
Assuming if this is Intel, modprobe kvm-intel and see if /dev/kvm shows up.
If it does and it fixes things, we’ll have to look into that. If that fails, then your system may just be missing kvm support.

Yep, attaching raw drives is planned which will include booting off and iso.
We’ll need that for Windows and other non-distributable OSes.

1 Like

I was able to create a VM and was able to start it.

I was also able to get the list,

What’s an ETA for this release?

Is this behavior going to change? because I make heavy use of vendor-data for phone_home, I know LXD doesn’t have a merge strategy for *-data because its pretty difficult, but I guess its just as difficult for everybody to solve

Is there a plan to expose some sort “window forwarding” (for the likes of windows server or full desktop environments) ? Thinking out load I assume you have to attach some sort of virtual monitor, keyboard & mouse and forward all the inputs from the user, im wondering if this going to be written by the LXD team or by other developers?

Unknown yet. The VM bits mostly work but we need to finish porting all the storage drivers over to the new mechanism before we can tag a release.

My guess is that we’re probably looking at early to mid December at this point.

The images currently available do not have a password set, so you must use cloud-init to configure one. We don’t expect this to change as it’s how cloud instances behave in general.

What will change eventually is that we’ll get the agent started automatically which would then allow you to use lxc exec similar to containers and not necessarily need to set a password. Our own images (images:xyz) will all have the agent units in place to do that and we will be pushing the same through Ubuntu, but if using something else, you’ll be on your own.

As for GUI access, right now, it’s not something we’re doing. We will most likely introduce a raw.qemu which will allow you to pass additional configuration, including the VNC address. That should work as a stopgap measure for those who absolutely need graphical access (such as installing Windows).

The long term plan is to setup a virtio graphics card and connect it to a spice channel, forwarding that spice channel over websocket through our normal console API. Spice clients are reasonably widely available and could then attach to the VM’s graphical console, keyboard, mouse and possibly even USB.

1 Like

How about doing 3.18.1 release? I know for a fact that there is a lot of fixes between 3.18 release and current master.

That’s pretty unlikely. We have been cherry-picking fixes into the snap and are certainly open to cherry-picking more cleanly applicable changes on top of that, but making a 3.18.1 would require a few days of work which we’d rather put in making 3.19 happen faster.

Do I understand right, these VM images run each with it’s own kernel? The advantage I have over other solutions is that I can operate VM’s and Containers under the same management interface and API?

1 Like

Correct, same storage, network, config, … can be clustered, …

1 Like

I have a question.
I tested the ubuntu virtual-machine creation and confirmed that it worked.
Can centos be created as a virtual-machine?

Hi!

There is no virtual machine image yet for other distros. At some point they will be made available. A developer can give you an estimate about when they will be available.

To view the Centos images, run

lxc image list images:Centos

You need to see images of type VIRTUAL-MACHINE.

Hi Simos
Thank you very much your reply. ^^

Hey simos

Im following your tutorial, for setting up VM’s but I keep getting a i386 image ? is that the same image you get ?

I get this on both an intel & amd machine followed by

“Architecture isn’t supported for virtual machines”

@stgraber maybe ?

When i run lxc image list images: I dont see any with the type VIRTUAL-MACHINE

Only ubuntu: and ubuntu-daily: have VM images currently.
We’re actively working on adding VM building support to distrobuilder at which point we’ll start to quickly rollout VM images for all of images:.

You have to remember that VMs are a bit harder to build than containers as we need to put the right kernel and bootloader in place as well as handling things like partitioning. This isn’t quite as generic across distro as a container filesystem is and so requires quite a bit of care to get to a good solution.

1 Like