Ubuntu 20.04 images are available

If you run the following, you get a list of the available Ubuntu 20.04 container images.

lxc image list ubuntu:20.04

To celebrate, create such a container.

$ lxc launch ubuntu:20.04 myfocal
Creating myfocal
Starting myfocal                           
$ lxc ubuntu myfocal
ubuntu@myfocal:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Release:	20.04
Codename:	focal
ubuntu@myfocal:~$

There are also minimal Ubuntu 20.04 container images. To enable the minimal Ubuntu container images, run the following:

lxc remote add --protocol simplestreams ubuntu-minimal https://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/minimal/releases/

To view the available minimal images:

$ lxc image list ubuntu-minimal:            # all container images, from 16.04 to 20.04.
$ lxc image list ubuntu-minimal:20.04   # view just the Ubuntu 20.04 container images.
$ lxc image list ubuntu-minimal:focal    # ditto.

The minimal Ubuntu 20.04 container image is at 113MB compressed.

+------------+--------------+--------+-----------------------------------------------------+--------------+-----------+----------+-------------------------------+
|   ALIAS    | FINGERPRINT  | PUBLIC |                     DESCRIPTION                     | ARCHITECTURE |   TYPE    |   SIZE   |          UPLOAD DATE          |
+------------+--------------+--------+-----------------------------------------------------+--------------+-----------+----------+-------------------------------+
| f (7 more) | 7097598acce0 | yes    | ubuntu 20.04 LTS amd64 (minimal release) (20200423) | x86_64       | CONTAINER | 113.34MB | Apr 23, 2020 at 12:00am (UTC) |
9 Likes

when trying to list the minimal images get,

The remote “ubuntu-minimal” doesn’t exist

You must have missed the lxc remote add command above.

1 Like

indeed i did, i was seeing ubuntu cloud images listed prior running tat command and that confused me >.< Thanks!