ok. I downloaded the tarball and compiled it in a container. That created /usr/local/lib/liblxc.so.1.3.0
Then, on the container with my openldap memory hog, I moved liblxc.so.1.2.0 and the symlink from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu to a safe place and copied the new liblxc.so.1.3.0 there, and made the symlink.
Restarted lxd and now no error!
Just wondering how I should manage updates now...
It seems openldap is behaving as expected too.
However after setting
lxc config set ldapserver limits.kernel.nofile 1024 I would expect to see that within the container, but I don't.
On the container..
# ulimit -a
core file size (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size (kbytes, -d) unlimited
scheduling priority (-e) 0
file size (blocks, -f) unlimited
pending signals (-i) 3810
max locked memory (kbytes, -l) 64
max memory size (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files (-n) 1048576
pipe size (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority (-r) 0
stack size (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes (-u) unlimited
virtual memory (kbytes, -v) unlimited
file locks (-x) unlimited
I have installed from source lxc-2.1.1 on the host server (instead of just copying the lxclib)
The results are great!