Unclear how to set up/verify the daemon when building from source

Hi all,

Because I don’t want to use snaps, as far as I can see the only way to get lxd is to build from source.

So I’ve been following the build from source instructions, however it’s not clear how to get the daemon working, or any information about the daemon setup, if any is needed. I have followed this tutorial completely.

The tutorial provides this command to ‘run the daemon’, but I’m really not clear how running this line is equivalent to the snap-equivalent daemon. Do I need to set up a systemd .service that runs the line below? I’m aware that lxc is the interface and lxd itself is the daemon, if my terminology is correct.

sudo -E PATH=${PATH} LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH} $(go env GOPATH)/bin/lxd --group sudo

For context, this thread indicates some detail about how to interact with the snap lxd daemon

For further information, this is the output of:

$ systemctl | grep lxd
  sys-devices-virtual-net-lxdbr0.device                                                                                                              loaded active     plugged      /sys/devices/virtual/net/lxdbr0                                                              
  sys-devices-virtual-net-lxdbr0_tmp.device                                                                                                          loaded active     plugged      /sys/devices/virtual/net/lxdbr0_tmp                                                          
  sys-subsystem-net-devices-lxdbr0.device                                                                                                            loaded active     plugged      /sys/subsystem/net/devices/lxdbr0                                                            
  sys-subsystem-net-devices-lxdbr0_tmp.device                                                                                                        loaded active     plugged      /sys/subsystem/net/devices/lxdbr0_tmp                                                        
  var-lib-lxd-devlxd.mount                                                                                                                           loaded active     mounted      /var/lib/lxd/devlxd                                                                          
  var-lib-lxd-shmounts.mount                                                                                                                         loaded active     mounted      /var/lib/lxd/shmounts                                                                        
  var-lib-lxd-storage\x2dpools-default-containers-gitServer.mount                                                                                    loaded active     mounted      /var/lib/lxd/storage-pools/default/containers/gitServer