Volume "size" property is only valid for custom volume types

I have a 10.00g LXDThinPool called sapp
How do I make it bigger?

lxc storage volume set default container/sapp size 11GB
Error: Volume “size” property is only valid for custom volume types

lxc config device override sapp root size=2GB

1 Like

That just increases the size of the thin volume inside the thin pool, not the thin pool size itself btw.

what you said confuses me

An lvm thin pool is collection of lvm thin volumes.
LXD uses thin volumes for instances.
Each thin volume can be a specific size.
LVM allows for over provisioning of thin pools such that the total size of the allocated thin volumes exceeds the thin pool size.

So the command

lxc config device override sapp root size=2GB

should also include? what for the thin pool it’self

you guys made lxd! what am I suppose to guess? just tell me please?

That command increases the thin volume root disk of that instance, which I think is what you want to do, so all is well.

But I was simply pointing out its not increasing the size of the thin pool as your original post suggested you wanted.

LVM thin pools are collections of thin volumes.
LXD uses thin volumes for instance disks.

yeah, so how do i actually ‘do it properly’ in plain english, with a code snippent ?

The command you marked as the solution is the correct command to increase the size of an instance’s root disk (which is a thin volume on an lvm storage pool).

you replied:

That just increases the size of the thin volume inside the thin pool, not the thin pool size itself btw.

1 Like

If you do want to increase the overall space available in the pool, so that it can be used by instance thin volumes then see our guide here How to manage storage pools - LXD documentation ( click the lvm tab).

might switch to docker at this point
I dunno
x