Weekly status for the week of the 9th to the 15th of October 2017.
This past week, part of the team was back in New York for more planning meetings, getting the details of the next 6 months, including LXC, LXD and LXCFS 3.0 fleshed out.
The rest of the team made good progress on some smaller feature work, started working on console attach for LXD, looked into SR-IOV passthrough of network cards and infiniband devices and fixed a good chunk of bugs in LXD and LXC.
We also launched the CFP for the containers devroom at FOSDEM 2018!
This week we'll be pushing out stable releases for all supported LXC, LXD and LXCFS releases as well as releasing LXD 2.19.
Upcoming conferences and events
- Open Source Summit Europe (Prague, October 2017)
- Linux Piter 2017 (St. Petersburg, November 2017)
- FOSDEM 2018 (Brussels, February 2018)
The list below is feature or refactoring work which will span several weeks/months and can't be tied directly to a single Github issue or pull request.
- Console attach in LXD
- External authentication support for LXD servers
- Distributed database for LXD clustering
- Stable release work for LXC, LXCFS and LXD.
The items listed below are highlights of the work which happened upstream over the past week and which will be included in the next release.
- Added support for limits.kernel.[prlimit].
- Removed the "size" property from the Ceph storage driver.
- Fixed network limits to only update if they are actually changed.
- Prefix all client paths when running inside a snap environment.
- Updated the client tool to support renaming of profiles, networks and image aliases.
- Fixed a mount issue with the directory backend.
- Tweaked the snap path handling logic some more.
- Fixed another mount issue with the directory backend.
- Fixed default ACL handling and multi-entry ACLs.
- Made the LXC deprecation warning specific to the LXC tools.
- Reworked the built-in minimal init process.
- Added initial support for live configuration updates.
- Improved version string handling to indicate if using a development release.
- Fixed a temporary ABI breakage.
- Fixed some issues in the logging code.
- Nothing to report
This section is used to track the work done in downstream Linux distributions to ship the latest LXC, LXD and LXCFS as well as work to get various software to work properly inside containers.
- Uploaded 2.18-0ubuntu4 with a selection of recent bugfixes.
- Uploaded 2.18-0ubuntu5 with the network limits and dir backend mounting fixes.
- Uploaded 2.18-0ubuntu6 with the follow-up dir backend fix.
- Updated the candidate channel with the same cherry-picks as the deb package.
- Updated the lxc wrapper in edge to use the newly added snap handling code in the CLI tool.