Weekly status for the week of the 16th to the 22nd of October 2017.
This week was busy with stable releases. All in all, we released:
- LXD 2.19 (feature release)
- LXC 1.0.11 (bugfix release)
- LXC 2.0.9 (bugfix release)
- LXC 2.1.1 (bugfix release)
- LXCFS 2.0.8 (bugfix release)
- LXD 2.0.11 (bugfix release)
We’ve also merged support for external authentication in LXD, through support of macaroon authentication tokens. This will make it possible to integrate LXD with enterprise SSO solutions.
Initial support for SR-IOV devices has also been added. Right now adding support for dynamic allocation of SR-IOV network devices. We will soon follow that with infiniband support too.
On the LXC front, we’re working on improvements to console handling with the first step there being the addition of a ringbuffer to store the console state, allowing to replay part of the screen when attaching.
Upcoming conferences and events
- Open Source Summit Europe (Prague, October 2017)
- Linux Piter 2017 (St. Petersburg, November 2017)
- FOSDEM 2018 (Brussels, February 2018)
The list below is feature or refactoring work which will span several weeks/months and can’t be tied directly to a single Github issue or pull request.
- Console attach in LXD
- Distributed database for LXD clustering
- Stable release work for LXC, LXCFS and LXD.
The items listed below are highlights of the work which happened upstream over the past week and which will be included in the next release.
- Added initial support for macaroon based authentication.
- Implemented storage volume renaming (for custom volumes).
- Fixed an issue with the new resources API on s390x.
- Added some missing code to our seccomp syscall blacklisting logic.
- Introduced support for SR-IOV network devices.
- Updated our bash completion profile.
- Fixed a crash in the client package when a cookie jar isn’t setup.
- Fixed a build issue after a dependency got changed.
- Fixed file pull/push from stdin/stdout in the snap package.
- Fixed building LXC on the x32 architecture.
- Fixed a typo in the archlinux template.
- Fixed a bad check when looking for empty char arrays.
- Did the initial implementation of a userspace ring buffer to be used for console backlog.
- Update the sabayon template to force systemd in cgroupv1 mode.
- Nothing to report
This section is used to track the work done in downstream Linux distributions to ship the latest LXC, LXD and LXCFS as well as work to get various software to work properly inside containers.
- Nothing to report this week as Ubuntu was frozen for the 17.10 release.
- The latest stable channel has been updated to LXD 2.18.
- The 2.0 stable channel has been updated to LXD 2.0.11.
- LXCFS 2.0.8, LXC 2.2.1 and LXC 2.0.9 have been pushed to the relevant channels too, updating all the snaps to the latest stable releases.