Weekly status for the week of the 26th of February to the 4th of March 2018.
So this past week was rather intense, in a nutshell, we’ve:
- Merged LXD clustering support
- Split python3-lxc, lua-lxc and lxc-templates out of the LXC codebase
- Moved libpam-cgfs from lxcfs to lxc
- Released 3.0.0 beta1 of python3-lxc and lxc-templates
- Released 3.0.0 beta1 of lxcfs
- Released 3.0.0 beta1 of lxc
- Released 3.0.0 beta1 of lxd
- Released 3.0.0 beta2 of lxd
So we’ve finally done it, most of the work that we wanted in for our 3.0 LTS release of all LXC/LXD/LXCFS repositories has been merged and we’re now focused on a few remaining tweaks, small additions and fixes with a plan to release the final 3.0 by the end of the month.
With all of this activity we’ve also had to update all the relevant packaging, moving a bunch of stuff around between packages and adding support for all the new features.
For those interesting in trying the new betas, the easiest way to see everything working together is through the LXD beta snap:
snap install lxd --beta
Note that the betas aren’t supported, you may incur data loss when upgrading or later down the line. Testing would be very much appreciated, but please do this on systems you don’t mind reinstalling if something goes wrong
This week, the entire LXD team is meeting in Budapest, Hungary to go through the list of remaining things and make progress towards the final 3.0 release.
Upcoming conferences and events
The list below is feature or refactoring work which will span several weeks/months and can’t be tied directly to a single Github issue or pull request.
- Various kernel work
- Stable release work for LXC, LXCFS and LXD
The items listed below are highlights of the work which happened upstream over the past week and which will be included in the next release.
This section is used to track the work done in downstream Linux distributions to ship the latest LXC, LXD and LXCFS as well as work to get various software to work properly inside containers.
- Uploaded python3-lxc 3.0.0~beta1 to Ubuntu 18.04 and PPAs.
- Uploaded lxc-templates 3.0.0~beta1 to Ubuntu 18.04 and PPAs.
- Uploaded lxcfs 3.0.0~beta1 to Ubuntu 18.04.
- Uploaded lxc 3.0.0~beta1 to Ubuntu 18.04.
- Uploaded lxd 3.0.0~beta1 to Ubuntu 18.04.
- Uploaded lxd 3.0.0~beta2 to Ubuntu 18.04.
- Several follow-up updates as we move content between packages and get automated tests to pass again.
- Switched to Go 1.10.
- Updated edge packaging to support LXD clustering.
- Updated liblxc handling to reduce build time and automatically pick the right version of the library.
- Created a new
beta channel using the latest beta of all components.