Weekly status for the week of the 5th to the 11th of November.
Our focus this past week was on finishing up the container refresh feature for LXD 3.7, then fixing a few more minor bugs before we finally released LXD 3.7 on Thursday.
This was followed by the usual amount of packaging work to get this new release to our users, finishing with it being promoted to the stable channel today.
This week, the entire LXD team is travelling to Vancouver, BC for the Linux Plumbers Conference and Kernel Summit. If you’re over there, come say Hi, we’ll be running the containers micro-conference. If you’re not, you you should expect us to be slightly less reactive than usual since we’ll be pretty busy over there.
The LXD team at Canonical is hiring!
We’re looking for a work from home software engineer based in the Americas or EMEA.
This is to work on LXD itself, designing and implementing new features, helping our users and squashing those pesky bugs!
Details at https://grnh.se/0d47b1411
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us here, by e-mail or IRC if you have any questions!
Upcoming conferences and events
- Linux Plumbers Conference - Vancouver, BC (November 13-15)
- FOSDEM - Brussels, Belgium (February 2-3)
- GTC 2019 - San Jose, CA (March 17-21)
The list below is feature or refactoring work which will span several weeks/months and can’t be tied directly to a single Github issue or pull request.
- Switching distribution building over to distrobuilder
- Various kernel work
- Stable release work for LXC, LXCFS and LXD
The items listed below are highlights of the work which happened upstream over the past week and which will be included in the next release.
- Implemented incremental copies of containers
- Added retry logic to loop device setup
- Improved error handling of loop device setup
- Fixed some missing references between containers and projects
- Updated documentation for cloud-init networking
- Fixed bad error handling on operation failure
- Reworked background tasks to reduce load on non-clustered LXD
- Added check for duplicate profiles in containers
lxc copyto prevent using --container-only with snapshots
- Added some upgrade logic for projects where symlinks didn’t get properly updated
- Added reference to
kernel.keys.maxkeysin production-setup documentation
- Fixed CRIU rsync option negotiation
- Fixed a spacing error in namespace.c
- Replaced read & write syscalls with nointr functions
- Tweaked match_dlog_fds() in dlog handling
- Fixed a typo in tty code
- Removed dependency & redundancy functions in pam_cgfs
- Nothing to report this week
- Nothing to report this week
This section is used to track the work done in downstream Linux distributions to ship the latest LXC, LXD and LXCFS as well as work to get various software to work properly inside containers.
- LXD, LXC and LXCFS 3.0.2 backported to Ubuntu 16.04 (xenial-backports).
- Cherry-picked some upstream bugfixes
- Updated Go version to 1.11.2
- Updated CRIU to 3.11
- Fix bug in shutdown logic sometimes not terminating LXD
- Updated to LXD 3.7